If you have wood flooring in your home, you have to be careful about the different types of damages that can be caused by wood boring insects. If you notice any signs of damage to the flooring, you should immediately get help from pest control services. This guide explains the different types of pests that can be a threat to your expensive floor.
- Carpenter Ants: These large black ants can create nests under the flooring and can cause serious damage to it.
- Termites: This is the most common threat to any kind of wood in your home. If you notice any signs of termite infection, you should immediately get help from pest control services.
- Carpenter Bees: It is not just the ants and termites that can cause damage to your wood flooring. Even carpenter bees are known to bore wood. They look like bumble bees and are large in size.
- Woodworm: There is a wide range of wood-boring beetle and the larvae are often referred to as the woodworm. Woodworm can also damage wood by creating tunnels. They continue boring through your flooring until they develop into adults. The presence of woodworm can be identified by the presence of holes on the surface of the floor.
- Dry-Rot Fungi: This type of fungi can weaken your wood flooring. If there is fungal infection in your home, it is recommended to get professional help to treat it.
- Powder post Beetle: These types of beetle larvae can bore both softwoods and hardwoods and cause serious damage.
When holes appear on the floor surface, many homeowners think that they can treat the problem with insecticides. Using such methods can be insignificant because the holes mean that the beetle has already left. So it will be best to have your flooring checked on a periodic basis.
The kind of damage and pest infection in your home will vary from one region to another. If you live in a warm climate, termites are more likely to affect your wood flooring. However, powder post beetles can affect hardwoods in almost all kinds of climates. So it is best to have your flooring checked regularly by professional pest control company.