We were intrigued. We do a lot of watering, especially in the summer. Tomatoes are thirsty.
Tim did the research and found that we could buy them, but they were a bit pricey. $20 or more each. Yikes. We starting counting up how many we would need. Double yikes. We have six 8x4 raised beds, and too many pots to count.
In one of the comments at Ara's site, someone mentioned re-using plastic water bottles. Poking small pin holes in them, and then burying them like you would an olla. Now, we don't get water in plastic bottles at home, but I *do* have them at work. And work has a nice little recycling bin for all those plastic bottles. Ripe for the picking.
I scavenged all that I could from work. I searched the pantry for anything in a plastic bottle. I rifled through all the cupboards. I emptied out the vegetable oil into a mason jar. There went the honey into a mason jar. Tim used the last of the vinegar and gave me the container.
I put six in the bed with the snap peas.
I put one each in two strawberry pots. And nine more in various other pots. I still have to scavenge enough for five more raised beds.
I can't wait to see if this will make a difference in the size/quality of the veggies (especially the tomatoes). If it does, maybe we'll spring for the real ones.