Heirloom Greek Salad
- 2 Heirloom Lemon Cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, rimmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 Chocolate Bell Pepper, rimmed, seeded, and diced
- 3 Heirloom Black Seaman Tomatoes cut into chunks
- 5 Heirloom Italian Red of Florence Bunching Onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound Feta Cheese, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
- 1/2 cup Calamata olives, pitted
- 3 cups of Heirloom Bronze Arrowhead Lettuce soaked in salt water to remove grit, dried in a salad spinner and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups of Heirloom Forellenschuss Lettuce soaked in salt water to remove grit, dried in a salad spinner and torn into bite-sized pieces
For the vinaigrette :
- 2 cloves Asian Tempest garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste (if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Place the cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and red onion and lettuces in a large bowl.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano , mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
I am currently growing organically asian tempest garlic, oregano, forellenschuss and bronze arrowhead lettuce, chocolate and red peppers, lemon cucumbers, black seaman tomatoes, italian red of florence bunching onions in my backyard in my garden.