It's yummy, it's cheap and it's perfect for your diet!
For those who are growing eggplant, here I present a recipe with this veggie that will make you lick your fingers and lose a couple of pounds at the same time.
You have probably heard that grilled food is healthy, but why exactly is a question almost everyone is asking. The answer hides in the amazing ability of grill to extract and melt the unhealthy fats in the products.
For this recipe, you will need nothing more than:
- 6 thin slices eggplant
- 6 slices of whole-grain bread
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of red onion
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- bit of fresh basil
- Reduced-fat butter or mayonnaise
It's a bonus if your garden could supply the red onion and the basil as well.
Preparation the food:
- First, overheat the grill to a low or medium setting. Mix the mayonnaise and the chopped basil in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil and stir the mixture to create a creamy solution and smear each side of the bread slices with it.
- The grill should be heated and ready for use now. Grill the eggplant for not more than 10 minutes depending on the setting that you use. Use a spatula to turn the eggplant slices. Add mozzarella to it and grill them until the cheese is melted. Five minutes should do the work.
- Toast the bread slices on the grill to make a thin brown layer on them. Leaving them for more than 5 minutes each might make them too grilled so watch them carefully.
- Smear the basil mayonnaise mixture on the slices of bread, add the eggplant with the mozzarella on top, optionally and some red peppers, onion and finish with the remaining bread slices. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve warm for best taste.
It's important to know how to clean up the bbq properly after you make your meal. Letting the grilled food and grease to dry and harden will make it a lot more difficult to remove them afterwards. Such residue can also ruin the next meal you make on the bbq.