Parker Farm CSA 8/15/2010 Share:1
bunch yellow carrots, 1 bunch raab, 1 pound sweet banana peppers, 1 pound
zucchini, 2 eggplant, 2 pounds red potatoes and 5(!!!) pounds tomatoes.
This isn't quite eggplant parmesan, because there is not breading and frying of the eggplant, and it's not quite lasagne because there are no noodles!
3 large eggplants
8 oz shredded cheese (mixture of sharp and mild Italian cheeses works well. Ricotta is nice, too!)
4 lbs. diced tomato
5 cloves garlic, diced
One large onion, diced
fresh basil, shredded
fresh oregano, chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil for basting eggplant
Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. Slice eggplant and sprinkle liberally with salt. Set aside to draw out some of the moisture and bitterness (15-30 minutes).
2. Saute onions until softened. Add chopped garlic and saute for one minute. Add tomatoes and let simmer until softened and stewed down (30-60 minutes).
3. Rinse eggplant and place on a baking sheet lined with towel.
4. Coat each slice with olive oil (I use a small paintbrush reserved for this purpose).
5. On a hot grill or cast iron grill pan, grill each slice until it is cooked through - pressing out more water if necessary.
6. Once all of it is grilled, you can start layering your "lasagne": In a 9" x 14" baking pan, ladle out a thin layer of tomato sauce. Follow with an even layer of grilled eggplant slices, then follow with a generous layer of shredded cheese. Repeat, ending with another layer of tomato sauce then cheese.
7. Bake until bubbling, approximately 30 minutes.
Find more photos like this on HOMEGROWN.ORG