Parker Farm CSA Share 10/6/10: 1 bunch chard, 1 bunch carrots, 1 bunch beets, 1 bunch mizuna, 1 bunch
parsnips, 1 bunch radish, 1 pound peppers, 1 butternut squash and 1
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
3-4 lb Butternut squash, halved, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 C. diced carrot
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 large onion, diced
3 large cloves garlic
2 C. vegetable stock
1/2 C. milk or cream
3 T. organic unsalted butter
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 t. ground cumin
1. Saute carrot and onions in butter until soft. Add butternut and saute until softened and lightly browned.
2. Add cumin, salt, pepper and vegetable stock, then cover to braise vegetables until soft and mashable.
3. Once vegetables are soft, slowly add milk and blend using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. Add more milk or stock until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
4. Garnish with chicken-apple sausage, freshly chopped rosemary or crispy parsnip chips.
Crispy Parsnip Chips
Makes a snack for 2, or garnish for 12
2-3 large fresh parsnips, peeled and sliced into thin rounds.
2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450º F.
2. Toss parsnip rounds with oil, salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
3. Roast for 10-15 minutes - watching carefully in the last 5 minutes - until browned.
4. Toss with extra salt if necessary. Serve immediately.