Parker Farm CSA 7/28/10 share: 1 bunch beets, 1 bunch carrots, 1 bunch cilantro, 1 bunch spring onions, 2 pounds red potatoes, 1 pound squash, 1 bunch mustard greens, 1 bunch celery, one head cabbage. Oops - potatoes and squash are missing from the photo!
Find more photos like this on HOMEGROWN.ORG
3 medium beets, sliced into thin rounds (a mandoline works great for this, but a sharp knife will do)
1 quart yukon gold potatoes, sliced into thin rounds (ditto here)
1 medium spring onion, sliced into thin rounds (aaaand again)
6-8 oz. sharp Swiss cheese (Greyere, raclette, etc.)
2 oz. grated parmesan or romano cheese
fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, chives
olive oil for coating sliced vegetables
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. In separate bowls, toss potatoes and toss beets with enough olive oil to coat each piece.
2. In a round tart pan, lay down the first layer of potatoes, slightly overlapping each round and working toward the center. Lightly salt each layer as you go.
3. Make the second layer your beet layer, again, working toward the center.
4. Cover the beet layer with 1/2 of the shredded cheese and half of the grated cheese.
5. Add two more layers of potatoes, adding cheese and lightly salting between them.
6. Bake finished galette on a foil-lined baking sheet for 60 minutes until it is brown, bubbling and crispy.