HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

OK folks, let's shoot for 20 of us at least. I'm making French Onion Soup and I may even try to bake bread to go with each quart.
Chime in here - we'd love to have you. Details on the date and location will follow soon. I just need to convince a local bar to host us.
Plan to bring at least one can of soup for donation to The Greater Boston Food Bank - the number of people in need is bigger than ever and every little bit helps.

Tags: Boston, soupswap

Views: 25

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! Note that there is another Cambridge Swap already scheduled on the www.soupswap.com site - that one is full and NOT hosted by me :)
I would love to do this! I will make my famous 'ox-tail soup'. Well maybe it isn't that famous yet...

I may be talking out of turn but can we instead prepare for a cash donation to the Food Bank? They usually can make my dollars go further with their negotiated food prices versus me buying the actual food item.

AKGW
Hi Arthur - oooh I LOVE Oxtail soup - does yours have booze in it? (what a myopic lush I am).
I think your cash donation idea is a great one - must be the overpriced graduate education at work, huh? In the spirit of a la carte, I'll suggest the option of soup or cash donations (with the caveat that cash goes further).

Arthur said:
I would love to do this! I will make my famous 'ox-tail soup'. Well maybe it isn't that famous yet...

I may be talking out of turn but can we instead prepare for a cash donation to the Food Bank? They usually can make my dollars go further with their negotiated food prices versus me buying the actual food item.

AKGW
Cornelia -- I'm sorry to disappoint. No booze in the soup, but it is tasty!

AKGW
Yeah!! I love this idea! I am in for mini meat (turkey) ball soup.
yum yum yum

Do you freeze the French Onion with or without the cheese? We all know, that's the most important part!!
Excellent question...I think I'll include little satchels of frozen, shredded cheese for each quart. Now we're getting into crafty pretty packaging, too!
I'm going to attempt to charm our potential hosts this afternoon - looks like Sunday nights are slow for them. I'll let you all know as soon as I have a date and venue.

Laura Edwards-Orr said:
Yeah!! I love this idea! I am in for mini meat (turkey) ball soup.
yum yum yum

Do you freeze the French Onion with or without the cheese? We all know, that's the most important part!!
OK folks - our prospective hosts have been less than, um, responsive to my numerous requests, so we'll be hosting the swap at our humble apartment in Inman Square. The building may look ramshackle, but it's warm inside!
Sunday February 1 at 6:30 PM
Address with RSVP
RSVP by commenting here!
Thanks for the invite! This sounds great. Since I'm a new cook, I'll have to dig into a favorite cookbook for something yummy (and vegetarian).... this oughta be interesting. I hope there will be veggie soups! :)
I'm in!

AKGW

Cornelia said:
OK folks - our prospective hosts have been less than, um, responsive to my numerous requests, so we'll be hosting the swap at our humble apartment in Inman Square. The building may look ramshackle, but it's warm inside!
Sunday February 1 at 6:30 PM
Address with RSVP
RSVP by commenting here!
Hi Cornelia. I live in Inman Square too! Is there still room in the soup swap?
Hi Lisa,
A neighbor, huh? I actually closed the RSVPs yesterday (our Facebook page is where most people replied), but, as long as you don't mind tight quarters, we're always partial to neighbors. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=45858674757&ref=ts

Lisa said:
Hi Cornelia. I live in Inman Square too! Is there still room in the soup swap?
The Inman Square Souper Bowl Sunday Soup Swap #1 was a resounding victory for all involved - we're looking forward to the next one. We didn't manage to get many pictures, here are a few. One even gives you a peek at soup (imagine!). We learned that the packaging and "telling of the soup" is just as important as what you bring - we are a soup image conscious society, after all...Here's the list of soups - all fabulous and special in their own way:
Ox Tail - Arthur's grandmother's recipe
Tomato Basil - Christine
Split Pea #1 - with smoked pork shoulder from Kerry
Split Pea #2 - with chunks of goodness from Laura
Lemongrass Ginger - a gathering of many aromatics from Jonah and Mina
Curried Squash - a vegetarian option from Gail and Alvan
Squash Apple - a vegetarian option from Pam
Moosewood Minestrone - a legendary recipe from the legendary Ivelisse
French Onion Soup - a week-long project of Cornelia's
Borscht - Beety goodness from Dan
Crab Edamame Bacon Chowder - a true refrigerator soup from Carolyn.
Here's what some of us look like:

Ivelisse, Pam and Arthur

James and Cornelia

Rob enjoyed to food!

Christine

(R-L) Pam, Ivelisse, Kelly and Kerry

Arthur and Haejin

Alvan and Kelly

(L-R) Cornelia, Jonah, Laura, Christine and Pam

Dan and Gail

See there is soup in the background!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library