HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hi --

I had a nice healthy donated SCOBY that my husband accidentally killed (it was in the oven -- turned off -- and he preheated to 400 w/o checking... doh). But I let it sit for a few days and now a new baby has formed! It looks great, but the original mother SCOBY had some tendrils that have now turned black and are clinging to baby. Should I be concerned? Should I ditch the mother?

Also, I started another brew by just adding raw kombucha. The yeasty things that typically sit on the bottom of kombucha bottles are floating at the top, along with still-forming, bubbly looking SCOBY baby. Is this OK?

Just trying to avoid poisoning myself and fam. Thanks for any help!!

kat

Views: 194

Replies to This Discussion

Kat, what did you end up doing? I'm very interested as this JUST happened to me... Same situation, only difference is the oven temp. He preheated ours to 350*. I let it sit for the past 5 days and it has a good sized baby on top! Mine has a few black tendrils, not many.

Mel
Well, after nursing it along, man, has it grown!!! I've got a good sized scoby going. :) Wondering if I should pop it in a warm oven more often...

Mel

Mel G said:
Kat, what did you end up doing? I'm very interested as this JUST happened to me... Same situation, only difference is the oven temp. He preheated ours to 350*. I let it sit for the past 5 days and it has a good sized baby on top! Mine has a few black tendrils, not many.

Mel
It was so long ago! I think you can use the baby. I would. I think I did. :)

Just get rid of the old mother.

(I'm no expert, FYI, but that's what I'd do.)

Good luck!
Kat

Mel G said:
Well, after nursing it along, man, has it grown!!! I've got a good sized scoby going. :) Wondering if I should pop it in a warm oven more often...

Mel

Mel G said:

Mel

I would say they are fine. If you are getting trendrils that means there is life. Also, if you placed some already brewed Kombucha in your brewing vat that might be causing the fermentation. 

So what did you end up doing? And how did it turn out?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_0071

IMG_0071

• IMG_0068

IMG_0068

• IMG_7874