HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Just wanted to share this was the crowning achievment of my growing this year.  I always put 4 Super-Chili plants in the ground.  I dry and crush them, use them in food and stir fry, anyway you get the idea.

This year I decided on making a fermented chili paste to use in cooking.  I took about a pound and a half of the small chilis cut off their green caps but left the seeds.  Put them in the food processor...added 1 healthy teaspoon of seasalt (Redmond is my favorite brand) about an inch of ginger root sliced thin (unpeeled) three cloves of garlic and about 3/4 C. of whey drained from Stonybrook Farms plain organic yogurt.

I whirred the mixture for a few minutes until everything looked nice and fine and small.  Scooped it into a quart canning  jar fitted it with a lid and band (finger tight only) and left it on a shelf to ferment which it did with vigor in about three days.  when the fermented action died down I just tightened the band a threw it in the fridge.  FREAKING delicious.  I serve it in chili, pasta sauce, on top of home made hummous...Made two jars this year!

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

Is the Super-Chili plant a specific kind of hot pepper, or do you plant super-hot plants like Ghost Pepper, Habinaro, etc and make your paste from them?

Its labeled as Thai Super chili. details below, I always save seed from the current year to start them again next year with good results despite the hybrid.

Botanical Name: Capsicum annuum 'Thai Super Chili' Hybrid

Height: 12-16 in.

Spacing: 18-24 in between plants, 24-36 in between rows

Depth: Plant the seeds 1/2 in. deep. Start seeds indoors 6 - 8 weeks before the last frost date. The plants should be planted the same depth as in the pots.

Spread: 12-16 in.

Sun/Shade: Full Sun

Fruit: Beautiful 2- to 3" Thai dragon type peppers bear up to 300 fruits per plant.

Days To Maturity: 75 days from transplanting into the garden.

Soil Requirements: Rich, well drained soil.

Comments: Very very hot- ranking 75,000-100,000 on the scoville scale, but an excellent flavor used in many Asian dishes.

- See more at: http://www.gurneys.com/product/thai_super_chili_hybrid_hot_pepper/p...

Thanks Joe. I grew Thai ornamentals this year and dried them for pepper powder. These sound very good and colorful as well. Might include a few of these with my hot peppers this season. Use your paste recipe and dry some of the paste for seasonings. Maybe even smoke a handful and grind up for seasonings as well.

The smoking sounds good.  My brother is the smoker so may ask him to do some for me

John F. Houpt II, PhD said:

Thanks Joe. I grew Thai ornamentals this year and dried them for pepper powder. These sound very good and colorful as well. Might include a few of these with my hot peppers this season. Use your paste recipe and dry some of the paste for seasonings. Maybe even smoke a handful and grind up for seasonings as well.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_6004

IMG_6004

• IMG_2197

IMG_2197

• IMG_6761