HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I have so many tomatoes right now. I want to make a bunch of sauce, but I"m searching for the perfect recipe. Ideas anyone? I've got lots of fresh basil and homegrown garlic on hand.

Tags: tomatoes

Views: 19

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the easiest thing I do.

I blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 4-6 minutes.

Next step, peel the skins off. It is OK if you miss some skin.

Now I boil down the tomatoes in a big pot and mash them down with a old school potato masher.

I like my sauce a bit chunky so I leave some chunks in there.

After cooking for about 10 mins and getting tomatoes mashed down (medium heat), I then cheat and add a can of plain tomato sauce and 1 can of tomato paste.

Next, I turn the heat to low or simmer, and add:
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
add 6 whole garlic cloves (peeled)
add fresh basil, italian parsley and oregano from my garden (start out with 6 basil leaves and twigs of oregano and italian parsley)
After it has simmer for about 30 mins, I add more herbs and garlic if I need it.

Throughout the process I do the taste test to make it to my liking.

The leftovers get thrown in the freezer for a winter day.
Yum! This sounds delicious. I still have tons of tomatoes. I pulled off all the semi ripe ones and they are now almost all ripe. Thanks so much for sharing!
For all those tomatoes I would chop them up in big chucks, drizzle with evoo, salt, pepper and roast in 350 degree oven until soft and bubbly (about 45 min to an hour) them I would drench them in more evoo and fresh herbs. This is wonderful over pasta or spaghetti squash. SooooooYummy!!!!
Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

* 2 large tomatoes, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons margarine
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 cups milk
Garlic to taste

1. Simmer tomatoes, onions, sugar, and salt and pepper. Once onions are soft, strain. Set liquid aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter or margarine. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the milk, and cook until thickened. Slowly add the reserved tomato liquid, and gently heat. Serve hot.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library