HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I'm reposting Julie's comments here for anyone who didn't see her email. Thanks, Julie!

-----

So I hope you all are still enjoying our wonderful book.

Thought I would start by saying I love the introduction of Samin. She brings such life to book and to the kitchen.

My favorite quotes this week were "Great cooking is all about the Three P's patience, presence, and practice. " I enjoyed the parallel to yoga. I too enjoy the practice of yoga and will now try to view the task in the kitchen with the same mindset.

Though I must admit I did not enjoy part two as much as the intro and part one.

My second favorite quote is from Step Six but its from Harold McGee "You want the cooking liquid to merely "smile "-watch for tiny bubbles now and then but never boil." I loved the visual and personality scribed to liquid. But this is also the part of the book that loses me a little.

I understand the Author is try to place a finger on when cooking fell out of vogue and left us in over processed microwaveable food. But it felt a bit like finger pointing to the women's movement. As a women reading it I couldn't help but feel guilty for working and not tending to the homestead and keeping a America's cooking traditions alive. Now maybe that's a bit of a stretch but there was a lot about gender roles and not having time to cook any more. Maybe my perspective is off but I am
Was slightly offended by it. There is the possibility that because there is some truth to it and that's why it stings a little but I as a women am not ready to shoulder the blame for the state of America's food because we have joined the work force. Any one else wondering where that discussion was going in the book? Is there a different perspective that will make me feel a little better about the direction he was taking?

-----

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

Julie, thanks again for kicking us off! Just an apology in advance for my brief comments. I'm in the backwoods and managed to find a signal that may not stick around for long. Julie, I hear you, sister, for not wanting to shoulder the blame for America's poor cooking habits, but I think that while Pollan was saying the drop in home cooking originally coincided with women joining the workforce en masse (something I think he supports!), at this point, we are all equally responsible for the state of our cooking (of lack thereof). I think he wants us all to step up and even indicts men to some degree for having skated by without doing so more significantly already. Or maybe that's a generous reading and that's just what I hope Pollan means, since I mostly really like him.

I liked the yoga comparisons, too, and I liked this bit, which feels related, on page 199: "Time spent this way [microwaving] might be easier than cooking, but it is not enjoyable and surely not ennobling." Made me think of all of the things we do for "fun" that certainly aren't easy, from cooking to yoga and beyond, and how much satisfaction we can find in those challenges that are choices--things we have chosen to do.

As for next week, are folks up for reading all of part 3 (through page 289)? Or should we break a little earlier, like around page 252?

Thanks Julie for leading this week's discussion, sorry I'm a little late! But really enjoyed reading your thoughts about this part of the book. I agree that it's hard to read the parts about America's lack of home-cooking and not feel like it's all women's fault. He never comes out and says it because I don't think he wants to blame women, it just happened to be a "side-effect" of societal changes. I'm trying not to take offense to it either. 

I know I tend to take on a lot of responsibility that really should be shared with everyone. I don't think the answer is for women to return home and abandon careers, but, for example, schools do have the capacity to educate new generations about all things cooking and food. So when I read, I try to think of all the other ways this problem can be solved rather than point the finger at any one gender :)

I also enjoy Samin entering the book. It made me reflect on why I've come to enjoy cooking so much - it's probably one of the only times I focus on ONE task. Even while doing my daily work-outs (when I should be focused and taking time for myself) I'm thinking about all the work I need to get done, or my schedule for the day. When I cook, without even trying, I focus completely on the task at hand. I've even started playing music while I cook and it has made the experience even more therapeutic.

Jennifer, I'm on track to finish Part 3 but don't mind either way! 

Hi Everyone, and thank you, Julie, for starting this week’s conversation with great thoughts and reflections!

I hadn’t really felt the way Julie was feeling in terms of Pollan pointing a finger at women, but then again, I’m not a woman!  However, he does seem to be conscious of the fact that he could come across that way when he says on p.184: “Now, when anyone—especially a man—expresses dismay at the decline of home cooking, a couple of unspoken assumptions begin to condense over the conversation like offending clouds.”  He points out that woman have “traditionally done most of the household food work,” but on the next page points out the ultimately the large part of the blame most likely rests with the food industry, which turned its wartime efforts into peacetime profits:

“…The shift toward industrial cookery began not in response to a demand from women entering the workforce, or even from feminists eager to escape the drudgery of the kitchen, but was mainly a supply-driven phenomenon.  Processing food is extremely profitable—much more so than growing it or selling it whole.  So it became the strategy of food corporations to move into our kitchens long before many women had begun to move out.”

I also thought the discussion that follows the decline in home cooking that continues on p.187 was quite interesting.  In looking at the food industry he shows how much of their message was actually antifeminist.  Ads were still aimed at women thus reinforcing the idea that it is their responsibility to feed the family, albeit now with processed fast foods.  It’s sad to see how the advertisers have “manufactured a sense of panic about time.”  I think one of the best moments in the day for my family is our leisurely breakfast, which is often just a big bowl of oatmeal with various fruits and other toppings heaped on.  (Of course, part of the reason we can have a long breakfast is our two young boys like to wake up more than 2 hours before my wife has to leave for work!).  To imagine replacing this family time with a cereal bar for my wife to “enjoy” on her walk to work is not very appealing to anyone in my family.

The quote from Harry Balzer that closes out that chapter does a good job of summing up how I feel.  “You want Americans to eat less?  I have the diet for you.  Cook it yourself.  Eat anything you want—just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourself.”  I’ve found that I have a lot less snacks during the day since I discovered I could make my own crackers and potato chips (although I do love making popcorn on the stove several times a week, lightly sweetened with a few spoonfuls of maple syrup!).  Because I strive to follow a “locavore” diet that pretty much rules out most processed foods.  Thus if I want bread, crackers, chips, cookies, or anything else that might make a quick snack I have to spend the time making it.  I wouldn’t say that I’m motivated out of a sense of wanting to diet, but I’m sure it does help my family stay healthy.

This section of the book ends on a good feeling, with Pollan’s family gathered around the table enjoying one of Samin’s recipes and sharing about their day.  With young children our meals aren’t always quite so idyllic but we do often enjoy just sitting at the table after we’re done with a nice homemade meal.  I think this feeling is amplified when we get together with our friends for dinner and all contribute to the meal.  The kids go play and we get to sit and sip the end of our wine and just enjoy the peace of a nice moment together. 

I say yes to all of chapter 3, but that’s because I’m already finished with it…. 

Great thoughts, not much to add but I love chopping onions. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library