HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

My parsley and cilantro went straight to seed last summer. Any tips for avoiding that this year?

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

plant cilantro as early as you can scratch in the soil....It thrives in cool moist weather and bolts when the warm days come. I plant my seeds in the fall and they come up on their own early in the spring. They dig that!
During the growing season, keep it trimmed. If you have to trim more than you can use, tie it up to dry. Then use the dry spices in the winter months.

How much do you trim?  I am new and would like to but my plants are already tall - how far do I trim back?

Joanna Dyment said:

During the growing season, keep it trimmed. If you have to trim more than you can use, tie it up to dry. Then use the dry spices in the winter months.
I have the same problem with my cilantro going to seed quickly. I have always wanted it for salsa.... but the tomatoes and cilantro seem to be on different growing schedules. Same goes for my dill and cucumbers....

Yes, it is a cool weather crop best grown in spring and fall if you live in warm/hot climates. I live and grow at 8300 feet in zone 3 so cilantro is wonderful to grow here in the summer. As far as 'trimming', harvest it like you do basil. Keep it from flowering.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library