HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I have a recipe from a magazine that shows you how to make your own mustard.  The problem it doesn't show how to can it or if it can be canned.  Does anyone have any experience with mustards.  I am looking for unique gifts for Christmas and I have some people who love unique mustards.

Views: 360

Replies to This Discussion

I make mustard.  I have never canned it...but then the mustard I buy I open up and keep in the fridge forever...so I figure I can do the same with the stuff I make. 

Christene

I make several types of mustard every year, one even with plum. I put them in a jar and dtore them in a dark cold place until I use them. When open I store them in the fridge. Never had a problem so far

Reiny - would you mind sharing a couple recipes and when you say you are storing them in cool dry place have you water bathed them?  This is new territory for me.

Christene

I'll try to tell you my recipes, but please be patient with me, I have to translate them from german or french and I don't know all the right cooking terms in english.

Orange Mustard:

50 g white mustardseed

50 g black mustardseed

75 g brown sugar(Muscovado)

1/2 tsp Kurkuma

1 tsp red Paprika

a little bit cinnamon

1 tsp Salt

1 tsp pepperseeds

250 ml red wine vinegar

1 Orange: juice and grated peel

do all the dry ingredients in your kitchenmachine and grind them, add vinegar, stir until everything has well mixed.Add Orangejuice and peel, stir again .

Let soak 1 hour and finally fill in jars.That's it.

I store them in the garage, which is not heated in winter and perfect for storing all my canning goods

White mustard with herbs:

100 g white mustardseeds

75 g brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp white peppercorns

1/2 tsp Kurkuma

275 ml white wine vinegar

6 Spoons chopped herbs like rosemary, parsley, sage and chives

the preparation is the same like above

Pear mustard:

1 kg pears

250 ml unsweetened pearjuice

150 ml white wine vinegar

150 g sugar

300 g yellow mustardflour

peel the pears and cut them in small pieces.

Slowly heat pearjuice, vinegar and sugar in a pot, stir until the sugar is melted.add 200 g pearpieces for 2 min, than take them out of the liquid and put them away.

now add the rest of the pear and slowly cook at low heat for at least 45 min.

Add the mustardflour and the rest pears and cook for another 15 min. stir constantly, as the consistency of the mustard is getting like jam.

fill in jars and use them only after 3 weeks

Enjoy and let me know how it worked

greetings from Luxembourg

Reiny

Many, if not most, mustard recipes are insufficiently acidic to be safe for home canning. The Ball canning book has a handful of mustard recipes that are safe, but even those must be canned in 1/4 pints. I have made several of the Ball canned mustard recipes and like the sage-lemon one best. Generally speaking, mustard is easy to make.
I have made a number of the Ball recipes from their canning book.  I was not happy with the results as the mustard seeds did not really soften as I would have liked and the mustard is very bitter.  I am planning on trying again, just to make sure it wasn't ME or old seeds.  Have a new batch I just ordered.
Reiny thank you for the recipes I am going to try the pear mustard.  As for the Ball recipes I too found that the seeds didn't soften much; I used other recipes I found out there and then hot water bathed them for the right amount of time.  Some did not say for canning but after consulting the extension office I found out that most are able to be canned.

Reiny, thank you for these recipes.  I will note, as I'll be sharing these in our HOMEGROWN Gift Guide, that Kurkuma is what many of us call Turmeric, and mustard flour is simply ground mustard seeds, also called mustard powder. These all look terrific!

Cornelia thanks for telling me about Turmeric. My english is not always the best and it was a little bit difficult for me to find the right expressions to translate recipes from Luxemburgish  and German into English.

But I'm happy that you will share them in the Homegrown Gift Guide

Wish you a nice december and happy holidays

Here is the mustard recipe that I use and can.  Canning instructions are at the bottom of the recipe.

Mustard 

½ cup brown mustard seeds

½ cup yellow mustard seeds

(or just 1 cup of yellow mustard seeds)

4 tablespoons of water

½ cup honey

2/3 cup cider vinegar

1 tablespoon ground nutmeg

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2/3 cup single malt Scotch whiskey

(Use scotch for a full body and smokey flavor.  For a lighter flavor substitute Irish or Canadian whiskey.  For alcohol free, substitute fresh apple cider.)

Grind the mustard seeds to desired consistency in a blender.

Mix the processed seeds with the water in a glass or stainless steel bowl and let the mixture stand covered for one hour.

Combine the mustard, honey, vinegar, nutmeg, salt and whiskey (or cider) in the blender or food processor.  Process until the mixture forms the desired consistency.  Add more honey if the mixture looks dry.

Transfer the mixture to a glass or stainless steel bowl.  Cover and let stand for 24 hours.

Pour into canning jars and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Refrigerate after opening.

I make about two quarts a year with brown seeds, honey and beer. I store them in quart masons and keep them in the back of the fridge. The only thing I have to do is add a little oil if they have sat for a very long time. Never had an issue or complaint.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library