HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hey,everyone.I made a small batch of kraut to eat fresh or freezing.I used fresh green cabbage.Shred it and added 2 tbsp of pickling salt,I kept it in a lg bowl with a lid.I let it sit overnight.I packed it into glass quart jars mashing it down and packing it tightly.Clear kraut juices are naturally produced.Filled jars 3/4 full using the large outter cabbage leaves to weight down the kraut.I rolled the leaves and placed them on top of shredded cabbage.Filled the jars with brine leaving headspace.I used clean cloths with hemp twine to cover the jars and kept them in my microwave for a week.I checked on them daily making sure all was well.Then I ate it.Tasted fresh and cleaner compared to commercial kraut.I emptied kraut of one jar into freezer bags and froze juices and all.I plan on making more kraut to hot pack but you could make small batches weekly.Also made a vinegar based coleslaw to freeze.Yummy but use promptly after defrost.Also froze jam,beans corn and fruit.I am looking for other unusual food ideas.Got any?

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

My neighbor makes Zucchini jam--it's delicious! She seeds and shreds the zucchini, then cooks it like fruit jam, adding cinnamon and walnuts, and bottles it. She uses the huge squash that's too big to eat, so you use up your garden surplus. It's good enough to eat out of the jar with a spoon!
yes you can kraut things like carrots and turnips in qt jars by layering them with salt and packing down delicius, cover with cheese cloth while fermwenting then when fermentationis e seal
yes you can kraut things like carrots and turnips in qt jars by layering them with salt and packing down delicius, cover with cheese cloth while fermwenting then when fermentation id done seal very yummy
yes you can kraut things like carrots and turnips in qt jars by layering them with salt and packing down delicius, cover with cheese cloth while fermwenting then when fermentation id done seal very yummy

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library