HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I wanted to share a recent canning mishap. After making pear butter and putting it in 1/2 pint jars, I wanted to move on to quart sized jars. I bought a larger canning pot (21.5 Qt. size) to accommodate the larger jars and tried to bring the water to a boil. After almost 30 minutes, it still wasn't boiling and I realized something was wrong. I read the literature that came with the pot and it said "not suitable for glass top stoves"... YIKES! After a little more research, I learned that not only will the water not come to a full boil but the porcelain on the pot can actually melt on the stovetop. I guess I'll just have to use smaller jars with my regular cookware since that water came to a boil with no problem. This probably isn't news to the experienced canner, but I hope it helps others to avoid the same mistake. Here is the canner I bought: Granite-Ware

Tags: glass, stoves, top

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

I bought one similar to this, and was getting my things together when I noticed "not suitable for glass top stoves" mentioned in rather small print ... on the bottom of the packaging! I wish the info had been more easy to find on the packaging. After a multi-store multi-town search, I finally found one suitable for a glass top stove, but it wasn't cheap, ($100.00). I eventually decided that it was a worthwhile investment and went home to finally can salsa and tomatoes!
You still can use your glasstop. I do! Just remember two things: flat bottom and not to exceed the width of your burner. Ball makes a really nice canner that can be used on all surfaces including induction burners. I waterbath using my pressure canner with a lid from another pot.
Something else to consider - the outdoor kitchen. It can be as simple as a single LP gas burner. Canning outdoors can be nice, especially in the summer, as the heat can build up quick in the (indoor) kitchen. I've seen outdoor kitchens with covered sheds, LP burners, sinks with garden hoses attached, built in counters and shelves. Sky's the limit!
there's some nice info at pickyourown.org on glass top stove canning......
http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm
I do most my canning on a fish frier propane cooker outside. That puts out a lot more heat and eliminates the problems associated with canning indoors. Of course the weather has to cooperate unless you have a space that's protected. You can buy one of the cookers at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $50.
This is wonderful post about using the turkey fryer bottom to waterbath can our veggies/fruits. Thank you for the tip!!!!
Thank you SO much for the great suggestions. I was really bummed when I thought my indoor canning (in quarts) was over... now I have many more options. Love this forum!!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library