HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Did you know that making Corned Beef using a brine is easyto do at home? And did you know that corned beef is one of the most natural meats to pressure can. In fact the canning process is almost identical to the prefered method of cooking corned beef! Pastrami is simply corned beef that has a "rub" put on it ad then smoked instead of boiled. The pastrami can be canned as well. Pulling a jar of corned beef off the shelf along with a jar of homeade sauerkraut is the fastest way to the best Rueben Sandwich in town. A little thousand island dressing and a couple slices of swill cheese on toasted rye and you're there!

Views: 747

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing!
Did you know that the easiest was to get saltpeter is to buy "Spectracide Stump Remover"? The stump remover is 100% Potasium Nitrate. You can buy it at nearly any lawn & garden store. Saltpeter/nitrates are used to supress botulism and to enhance the retension of the red in meat. That's why corned beef is always red!

Here is the contact info on Specracide.....Manufacturer: Spectrum Brands: Address: 601 Rayovac Drive : City: Madison: State: WI: Zip Code: 53744: Telephone Number: 608-275-3340: Toll Free Number: 800-323-1993
Yikes! That sounds like something I don't want to use on my food...but I can't find anything to confirm my fear. Here's an article from U of MN Extension about Potassium Nitrite .
Yeah, I didn't like the idea of using nitrates (or anything other than the meat) while making the Coned beef. However, everything I read about making some meats like Corned Beef and Smoked Sausage urge us to use the nitrates to avoid botulism. There were some rumors going around for a while about the harmful effects of Nitrates but this seemed to be unfounded. Of course if you use the Saltpeter/Potasium Nitrate to make gunpowder I could see some potental for a harmful effect;-). The article you provided contains basically the same info I've found at other locations while researching the subject. I guess it all boils down to if you want smoked sausage or corned beef or are willing to forego the tasty treat in an effort to be on the safe side. Of course, as the artical points out, you might have to give up a lof of various vegies at the same time if you're truely going to avoid the nitrates.
You say to pressure can it, so doesn't that take care of the botulism issue? I mean, pressure canning's primary goal is to kill the spores.
Yes and no.Canning pretty much prevents the botulism from getting started. However, I think it's the brining/curing process of making the corned beef where the potential for the botulism is likely to occur. Remember, it takes nearly 3 weeks to make the corned beef before you get a chance to can it. The canning might prevent the botulism but I don't think it would eliminate problem if it got started during the pre-canning portion of the process.

Rachel said:
You say to pressure can it, so doesn't that take care of the botulism issue? I mean, pressure canning's primary goal is to kill the spores.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library