HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I am looking for a good recipe for this.  I have frozen carcasses and want to use them but my last batch did not taste as good as I was hoping for.  Does anyone have a tried true recipe?

Views: 57

Replies to This Discussion

My recipe is pretty simple and isn't exact - but pretty damn tasty.

In a large stockpot I throw together the carcasses, quartered onions (skin and all), several carrots, several sticks of celery, and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 6-8 hours, covered and adding more water as needed. Strain and put in the fridge to cool or pressure can. We usually just freeze ours. It will solidify once cooled, like jello, but you just have to heat it back up to liquify.

ok celery is what I didn't add.  Is your stock clear because my first batch was not.
No, it's not clear. Also, get generous with the salt. It really helps bring out the flavors. And if you don't like the flavor just keep cooking it. I don't much care for homemade broth if it's only been cooked for a few hours. It's that super long, low heat that really seems to do it.

I make my stock like Rachel, except I leave the lid only half on so some water can evaporate and concentrate the flavor better. I also like to let it sit in the fridge for a day after I strain it so I can skim the fat off the top.

To help your broth be more clear, start with cold water and bring it up to heat slowly, then skim off any scummy stuff that floats up as it boils. I set my pot on medium heat until it boils, and then down to the lowest heat where it will stay simmering, which differs depending on how big my pot is. This takes longer than turning it up to high heat, but you'll get a much better broth.

Ok let's talk salt.  I did not use any and that might be the problem.  I always worry about too salty.  I cook with various kinds of salt = table, sea and kosher what is best for stock?

Rachel said:

No, it's not clear. Also, get generous with the salt. It really helps bring out the flavors. And if you don't like the flavor just keep cooking it. I don't much care for homemade broth if it's only been cooked for a few hours. It's that super long, low heat that really seems to do it.
I don't  care if it is clear just wondered if I had done something wrong.

Bonnie said:

I make my stock like Rachel, except I leave the lid only half on so some water can evaporate and concentrate the flavor better. I also like to let it sit in the fridge for a day after I strain it so I can skim the fat off the top.

To help your broth be more clear, start with cold water and bring it up to heat slowly, then skim off any scummy stuff that floats up as it boils. I set my pot on medium heat until it boils, and then down to the lowest heat where it will stay simmering, which differs depending on how big my pot is. This takes longer than turning it up to high heat, but you'll get a much better broth.

IMO kosher is the best. The structure of the grains allows for it to dissolve the fastest so it's easier to determine the right amount of salt sooner than if you used table or sea.

Christene Catlin said:

Ok let's talk salt.  I did not use any and that might be the problem.  I always worry about too salty.  I cook with various kinds of salt = table, sea and kosher what is best for stock?

Rachel said:

I use the following recipe (sorry, it's in French but maybe it'll be understandable through google-translate)

Bouillon de poulet en conserve maison

In the instructions, it says to simmer as long as you wish to bring out less or more flavor. I generally simmer until at least a third of the liquid evaporated.

By the way, if you can manage a bit with French, this blog is a treasure chest of canning knowledge and recipes. Infortunately, Vincent is excessively busy on other activities right now and won't be able to answer requests or questions.

An other excellent recipe for chicken stock, in english this time:

Ellen's Fabulous Chicken Broth

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service