HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I canned my homegrown tomatos last year. This year I want to make canned tomato sauce. Does anyone have a good recipe or trick.

Tags: Tomato

Views: 1587

Replies to This Discussion

Yes! We made a fantastic sauce using Barbara Kingsolver's family recipe. You can find it online here:
animalvegetablemiracle.org/Tomato%20Sauce.pdf
Here are some photos and explorations of tomato sauce blogging. We've been enjoying chili sauce and tomato sauce canned last summer: this year we'll definitely be doing the same. Good luck!
That is so funny. I just finished Barbara's book The Poisonwood Bible. It is my new favorite book. If her tomato sauce is half as good I will be impressed. Thanks

Lelo in Nopo said:
Yes! We made a fantastic sauce using Barbara Kingsolver's family recipe. You can find it online here:
animalvegetablemiracle.org/Tomato%20Sauce.pdf
Here are some photos and explorations of tomato sauce blogging. We've been enjoying chili sauce and tomato sauce canned last summer: this year we'll definitely be doing the same. Good luck!
Just a thought- you could can just plain ol' tomatoes or paste, then you have the freedom to use them in whatever recipe...sauce, gazpacho, mater juice, or ala carte.
Hey there--I don't know if you get mountains of tomatoes at once or if it's more of a steady trickle like we have. Last year I started using my crockpot for tomato sauce which turned out to be simply brilliant. The sauce cooks down slowly but never burns, it uses much less energy than using the stove, it doesn't heat up the kitchen, and you don't have tomato sauce bubbles spitting up all over your stove and forearms. I froze many quarts of sauce last year and might try canning some this year.

If you are interested in reading more about how I did this, my blog post is here: http://magpieeats.blogspot.com/2008/09/hello.html
I am so excited to try crockpot sauce this year! I just ordered a new slow cooker and can't wait for it to arrive; I'm going to set it up outside (where I also have my dehydrator).
I tried canning tomatoes in a water bath last night, but I'm not sure if I did it right... any advice?

The full story is here: http://baltimorediy.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-dont-think-i-did-this-ri...
I like to just peel chop and cook mine, I wait until cooking to season them so they are more versatile. In that way I can use them for spaghetti, chili... soup broths... whatever!

One thing I have learned is to season them (if that's what you want to do) less than to taste! 3 years ago I made spaghetti sauce to can and seasoned it to taste... not knowing that the herbs would only get stronger and stronger tasting over time! Wow that was some strong sauce!
If you want to can tomato sauce, make sure that you use a pressure canner, not just a water bath canner. Tomato sauce doesn't have enough acidity on its own. On the other hand, it freezes really well. Before I got a pressure canner, I would let it cool and then put the sauce in freezer ziplocks so that they didn't take up a lot of space. Good luck!
The Cooking Channel has an excellent how-to written by Sean Timberlake of Punk Domestics: How To Can Tomatoes
Great post Magpie. I'll sure try this next year. Thanks for the tip.

Magpie Ima said:
Hey there--I don't know if you get mountains of tomatoes at once or if it's more of a steady trickle like we have. Last year I started using my crockpot for tomato sauce which turned out to be simply brilliant. The sauce cooks down slowly but never burns, it uses much less energy than using the stove, it doesn't heat up the kitchen, and you don't have tomato sauce bubbles spitting up all over your stove and forearms. I froze many quarts of sauce last year and might try canning some this year.

If you are interested in reading more about how I did this, my blog post is here: http://magpieeats.blogspot.com/2008/09/hello.html

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library