HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hi Canners!  Is anyone canning apple pie filling?  I have done this for a couple of years using a recipe that is similar to cold pack pickles only you cold pack apple slices into hot jars and pour the spicy sugary syrup over them and then hot water bath.  I recently came across another recipe (by the almighty county extension agent) that said to boil the apple slices in water for one minute before packing them.  I would rather skip this boiling business as the cold pack has worked fine in the past, but you know, the extension agents kind of know their stuff.  Any thoughts?

Views: 1925

Replies to This Discussion

Super! Thank you

Lynda Reynolds said:

I use about 3 tablespoons for each quart...I really don't have a recipe...I add pie spices and a bit of butter with some sugar and water when it thickens up I add the sliced fruit (apples, peaches, pears, apricots) then I put everything in a jar or jars and process it.  I do elderberries, blackberries, cherry the same way.  In fact this year I even did rhubarb...real tasty...and super easy.  There's a good video at www.canningusa.com showing how to make the pie filling if you're intersted.

Shellie A. Gades said:

So Lynda Reynolds,

How much ClearJel do you use in your apple pie filling recipe?

Sue Tirrell said:

Hi James and Missy! HEre is my recipe for Preserved Apple Pie Filling! I found it on allrecipes.com, posted by a woman named Rhonda, though I made a few changes with regard to spice ammounts (I like more) and food coloring (I see no need to add yellow food coloring to pie filling just for color). It makes 7 quarts of pie filling.

6 pounds of tart pie apples, peeled and sliced.
*I put them in water with lemon juice as I work, to keep from turning brown--approximately 1/4 cup lemon juice to 2qts water. Add more lemon juice if you get excessive browning.

4 1/2 C. Sugar
1T + 1t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground clove
1/4 t ground allspice
1 C. cornstarch
2 t. salt

3 T. lemon juice
10 C. water

Prepare your quart jars, lids and bands and have your water bath hot and ready.
While you are waiting for your water bath to boil, peel and prepare your apples.

Mix spices, cornstarch, salt and sugar together in a large pan (mix while dry first) then add your 10 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.

While you were waiting for the spicy, sugary mixture to boil, drain your apple slices which were soaking in the water/lemon juice mixture and pack them into the hot, sterile jars.

When the spicy syrup mixture is ready, pour it over the apples and fill the jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Use a non-reactive spatula to remove air bubbles. Clean the rims, put on your lids and process in hot water bath canner for 20 minutes (I do 40 minutes because we are between 5 and 6000 feet above sea level). Check out an altitute conversion chart fo find your own processing time, using 20 minutes as the sea-level time.

I hope I didn't leave anything out! When I bake this filling, I usually add one or two more fresh apples to round it out (I like a pretty big pie) or some cranberries and figs. If I add alot of extra fruit I like a little more spice and a small scoop of brown sugar. Oh, and a shot of bourbon is also a nice addition to an apple pie, trust me on that!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_5739

IMG_5739

• IMG_5868

IMG_5868

• Add Photos