HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

we are on our second "batch" of chickens nad decided to go with different breeds this time around to see what type suits best. Until 2 weeks ago all was good, but now our 2 laced wynodotte chicks have taken up crowing... any ideas on how to manage this? I have been looking for signs of them being male, but there aren't any...suggestions? we are in a city neighborhood and so far no complaints but I can imagine they are coming. Has anyone else experienced this problem, is it a phase?

Tags: crowing, wynodotte

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like you may have a couple of roosters. Sexing of chickens is only 90% correct so there is always a chance of a few being roosters. You are probably going to need to find them a new home or get rid of them some other way.
yea i know sexing isnt a sure thing. but they are full grown now and dont have the distinctive characteristics of a rooster. I think they are hens, who crow... time will tell i guess.
Now, what time are they crowing? I know my hens make a lot of noise right after they lay an egg and are trying to find their flock.

Morgan said:
yea i know sexing isnt a sure thing. but they are full grown now and dont have the distinctive characteristics of a rooster. I think they are hens, who crow... time will tell i guess.
as the sun is coming up... but i beleive they are full grown but have yet to lay. sort of in the middle of juvenile and adult.

Rachel said:
Now, what time are they crowing? I know my hens make a lot of noise right after they lay an egg and are trying to find their flock.

Morgan said:
If they aren't laying yet, it's probably too soon to really be able to tell if they have any real rooster qualities. Do you have photos? That might help. I'm betting you have a rooster emerging. I had this happen with our first batch of city chickens (we live in the country now) and my kids think the rooster found a new home. I couldn't find him one. :(
Yeah. I am now certain one is a rooster, the tail feathers haev begun to change and arent up right any more.. and they haev been spending the night in the garage to dampen the crowing... Oh well, it happens. Are young roosters at all tasty? (please dont be offended but if we cant find it a home I dont know what else to do).

rachel whetzel said:
If they aren't laying yet, it's probably too soon to really be able to tell if they have any real rooster qualities. Do you have photos? That might help. I'm betting you have a rooster emerging. I had this happen with our first batch of city chickens (we live in the country now) and my kids think the rooster found a new home. I couldn't find him one. :(
They're just as tasty as any other young bird. They won't be mutant chickens like Cornish X (what you buy in the store), but they'll be decent.

Morgan said:
Yeah. I am now certain one is a rooster, the tail feathers haev begun to change and arent up right any more.. and they haev been spending the night in the garage to dampen the crowing... Oh well, it happens. Are young roosters at all tasty? (please dont be offended but if we cant find it a home I dont know what else to do).

rachel whetzel said:
Yes! Young birds can be very tasty! I think six months is the usual age to butcher... sometimes sooner.

Morgan said:

rachel whetzel said:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library