HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hi.

I bought two pairs of breeding chickens.  A pair of cuckoo Morans, and a pair of black Americauncas.  They are approx.  5 months old, and have not laid an egg, and will not roost on their designated roosters.  Nor will they go into the coop at night.  Instead, even though their wings have been clipped, they somehow manage to fly over their fenced in yard and get into a trashcan where we keep the old bedding when we clean out the coop until it's full enough to take it to the compost pile.  They do this when it gets dark, and my husband and I have to go fetch them out of the trashcan, and put them into the coop. 

We have tried several things to trick them, teach them, gently persuade them to go into the coop at night but they just will not do it.

Any suggestions?  I am so afraid that they are going to get killed.  We are planning to cover the entire chicken yard with wire eventually, but can't afford to that right now as it is a very large area.

I do realize that the pairs would normally be kept apart, but I read that chickens bred from crossing the cuckoo moran and americauna would produce a purple colored egg so I am going to give it a try.  Anyone with info on this or experience crossing different breeds to get unusual egg colors?

Help.

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

I have no experience with chickens not going where they should at night... but I think your numbers are very off with male to female numbers. I don't think that it's about pairs as much as you should have way more females for every male. Most people I know and read about say 8 hens for every rooster MINIMUM. I imagine these numbers might have an impact on roosting. It may be that your roosters are refusing to roost near each other.
rachel whetzel said:
I have no experience with chickens not going where they should at night... but I think your numbers are very off with male to female numbers. I don't think that it's about pairs as much as you should have way more females for every male. Most people I know and read about say 8 hens for every rooster MINIMUM. I imagine these numbers might have an impact on roosting. It may be that your roosters are refusing to roost near each other.
I did not think of that. I have another flock, and I suppose that the rooster in charge of that one may be overloaded as it is one rooster for 17 hens. I had wanted to keep the pure breds apart from my motley crew, but I suppose I may have to take several hens out of that flock to bring in with the others. Perhaps that will help. I will try, and let you know.

Best Regards!!
I'd be interested to hear if that does the trick! I've only ever had on rooster, and he's in charge of 12 hens. Those numbers seem to work fine, and he's a really nice rooster. I don't know how much competition would keep roosters from roosting together, but I do know that my hens that have bonded with my rooster will follow him everywhere. So if he were to stop roosting in the hen house, they would too. If your hens have bonded with their respective roosters, I was just thinking that this might have an impact on where they would roost.

Amanda Loving said:
I did not think of that. I have another flock, and I suppose that the rooster in charge of that one may be overloaded as it is one rooster for 17 hens. I had wanted to keep the pure breds apart from my motley crew, but I suppose I may have to take several hens out of that flock to bring in with the others. Perhaps that will help. I will try, and let you know.

Best Regards!!
I will let you know. We will be rounding up some of our Rhode Island Reds from the other flock tonight to transplant in with the others. Hopefully it will work. Like I mentioned these breeding pairs are for chick production as I read that crossing a cuckoo moran with an americauna would generate a chicken able to lay a purple egg. So that is my experimental goal with them. Have you read or heard of breeding for egg color other than the standard ones already available?

rachel whetzel said:
I'd be interested to hear if that does the trick! I've only ever had on rooster, and he's in charge of 12 hens. Those numbers seem to work fine, and he's a really nice rooster. I don't know how much competition would keep roosters from roosting together, but I do know that my hens that have bonded with my rooster will follow him everywhere. So if he were to stop roosting in the hen house, they would too. If your hens have bonded with their respective roosters, I was just thinking that this might have an impact on where they would roost.

Amanda Loving said:

Best Regards!!
I haven't heard of it! The only colors I've ever read about are brown, white and blue/green in varying shades! I'm interested to hear it you have luck with the idea!!
My Ameraucanas will go into the coop, but they won't roost. I'd suggest putting the trash can in the coop.
I thought of that, but the trash can is very big, and won't fit through the small door of the coop. I took over some hens from other flock, but they would never integrate, and did not solve the problem. I will be taking them back next week if things don't change. The cuckoos and the americaunas are still roosting in the trash can at night no matter if it's rain or shine, and we are still tucking them in to bed. I suppose that we will continue to do this until we can get the chicken yard inclosed with a top cover so that they can live in their trash can without the danger of a predator getting to them. Geez.

Amy Sirk said:
My Ameraucanas will go into the coop, but they won't roost. I'd suggest putting the trash can in the coop.
Something else you might try is to keep them in the coop for a few days. Maybe once it cools off a bit. I know that all my birds needed a couple days to get the hang of where they were "supposed" to sleep at night. Also: I have a couple step ladders that I am using as ramps, and some of my birds use that as their roosts!! I wonder if yours might like something like that? They are just the small wooden step ladders that look like mini versions of a painter's ladder.
I will try the ladders. Maybe that will help. We built the roosts out of bamboo, and made sure that it was the right diameter. I will try anything right now. We kept them up in the coop for two weeks when we got them, and they went inside of it for a couple of nights and then suddenly for no reason stopped. We have tried keeping them up again, but they just won't go in at night.

rachel whetzel said:
Something else you might try is to keep them in the coop for a few days. Maybe once it cools off a bit. I know that all my birds needed a couple days to get the hang of where they were "supposed" to sleep at night. Also: I have a couple step ladders that I am using as ramps, and some of my birds use that as their roosts!! I wonder if yours might like something like that? They are just the small wooden step ladders that look like mini versions of a painter's ladder.
Hi! This is a fascinating discussion --I can't wait to see if you get the purple eggs! I had a problem with my chickens roosting in thier nesting boxes instead of the roost I built them and I read that the roosts should be pretty wide--like 4"! Im not sure that is totally necessary but I did throw a 6" wide plank across the top of my roost and closed off the nexting boxes at night and that did the trick. Now they roost on the narrow roosts and also the board. I have opened the nests now that they have started laying--miraculously, they know what to do and where by now! I hope everyone is roosting in their house by now instead of the garbage can!

Amanda Loving said:
I will try the ladders. Maybe that will help. We built the roosts out of bamboo, and made sure that it was the right diameter. I will try anything right now. We kept them up in the coop for two weeks when we got them, and they went inside of it for a couple of nights and then suddenly for no reason stopped. We have tried keeping them up again, but they just won't go in at night.

rachel whetzel said:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library