HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hi everyone,

One of our Barred Rock hens lays eggs that are sometimes flat on one or two sides. It doesn't happen all of the time but quite often. I had assumed that the egg was already formed and hardened inside the hen's body. Am I wrong in that thought?

Thanks, Erich

Views: 360

Replies to This Discussion

Dang it!! I had a reply all typed out... now it's lost in cyberspace...

This is my theory. (I can't find information on line to back it up... but I think it's true based on my experience) I've noticed eggs that are misshapen in my nests too. Once in a while, they are flat, once in a while they have a "ring" around them... almost like they got stopped up along the way in their journey down the pipe. I personally think that eggs are mostly hard, but still malleable to a certain extent until they are laid. Kind of like a baby's head... and then they finish hardening once they are laid. Just my theory, but it sounds good to me, so I'm sticking to it. lol

Thanks, It sounds like a good enough theory to me too. We also get  those "ring" eggs from the same hen. Poor girl lays the biggest eggs but not always perfect. I guess hers would be rejected at the egg farm before sale. They taste just as good plus it gives us all something to ponder!

rachel whetzel said:

Dang it!! I had a reply all typed out... now it's lost in cyberspace...

This is my theory. (I can't find information on line to back it up... but I think it's true based on my experience) I've noticed eggs that are misshapen in my nests too. Once in a while, they are flat, once in a while they have a "ring" around them... almost like they got stopped up along the way in their journey down the pipe. I personally think that eggs are mostly hard, but still malleable to a certain extent until they are laid. Kind of like a baby's head... and then they finish hardening once they are laid. Just my theory, but it sounds good to me, so I'm sticking to it. lol

Eggs flat on one side? The shell? If the nest doesn't have litter/straw to cushion the egg, the egg will flatten as it lays on a hard surface...Eggs are warm and pliable at first, especially with young layers. Is there enough straw in this spot?  

Janis, Thanks for your reply. Wow, I'm sorry I didn't see your post. It's been a while since I've been here. I'll try to keep myself more up to date. My hens have seemingly outgrown the flat egg phase. Alas, all the unique eggs are now more standard looking.

Janis Ahern said:

Eggs flat on one side? The shell? If the nest doesn't have litter/straw to cushion the egg, the egg will flatten as it lays on a hard surface...Eggs are warm and pliable at first, especially with young layers. Is there enough straw in this spot?  

This link might help "Soft, Thin or Missing Egg Shells" at Poultykeepers.com Poultykeepers.com or just google soft eggshells.

Carol

Rodney & Carol Carol's Cell 541 514-7693
Conservators' Nankin Bantam Fowl
Hobby Farm: Chicks in Roseburg, Oregon
Ancient breed of Oldest known Bantams

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.