HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Greetings, everybody~

My seven hens are laying between 5-7 eggs a day, even our recent cold weather hasn't put them off. So I have a
surplus and was wondering, does anyone have something that they do with eggs to
give as Christmas gifts, I mean besides just giving someone a carton of eggs?
I'm thinking something like aoili, pickled eggs...? Any recipes, tips, etc.,
would be appreciated! Thanks and happy holidays to everyone.

Mari, northeastern NC

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

Pickled eggs are tricky because some people are turned off by them. However, what about lemon curd? Or even pies? I don't know anyone that doesn't like lemon curd.
Oh, my goodness! Make homemade angel food cake! It is truly the easiest thing to do. I found my recipe in the Betty Crocker cook book and followed it but changed just a couple of things. If you want to make a chocolate angel food cake, use a half cup of cocoa instead of a quarter cup. I find it just isn't chocolaty enough. Also, thanks to my daughter Jamie, right before we put it into the pan to cook, we add a few drops of food coloring and only partially fold them in to the mix. Then pour into the cake pan and bake. It makes a swirly cake. You could just put it into the eggs when beating and make it all one color but the swirls are cool and an unexpected surprise for the unknowing. You could also put in some flavor extract, ie: strawberry, orange, licorice, whatever but remember - it must be put in right before baking. This you must finagle with to get your correct dosage. I have found I need more than I think - 3 tsp anyway. Good luck and happy baking! Homegrown - Nancy
My friend is canning 'pickled egg salad' as gifts for christmas. She's not actually making the egg salad, just putting the ingredients (less the condiments) in a jar- eggs, dill, onion and canning it. Hope I'm on her list!
It won't keep well, but anything custardy: zabaglione (sp?), custard pies, and , of course, egg nog.

Egg breads: challah, brioche, maybe pannetone? Never made it, but I think it has eggs in it.

Cheesecake also has a fair amount of eggs. If you're feeling ambitious, you can go here http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/neufchatel/neufchatel.htm to make neufchatel cheese, which works great as a cream cheese substitute in any cheesecake recipe.
Thanks, everybody, these are all great ideas. My husband loves eggnog and I didn't even think of it! Looks like I've got my holiday cooking cut out for me.....

Now I have another question~ my mom has asked me to make deviled eggs for a holiday gathering and I know that fresh eggs don't peel well, so how long should I keep back some eggs for making hard boiled eggs that will peel nicely? One week?  Two?

I am not sure on that but I have been told that you can use fairly fresh eggs (a week or two old) and right after boiling while still in the water, put a crack in the shell and let them soak until the water is cool- I just use the heavy end of a butter knife.  This way the water seeps between the shell and the egg making it easier to peel...  I have tried it and it seems to work pretty well.  Try it with a small batch first.  Maybe one you'd use for egg salad sandwiches if it doesn't work out for you.

Mari Mann said:

Now I have another question~ my mom has asked me to make deviled eggs for a holiday gathering and I know that fresh eggs don't peel well, so how long should I keep back some eggs for making hard boiled eggs that will peel nicely? One week?  Two?

Thanks, Nancy~ my mom told me this too, to crack them and put them in cool water for awhile. Of course she was talking about using store bought eggs, but I think a week or so is good too, for our fresh ones. My water turtle likes to eat any egg shells that have cooked egg attached too, so if they don't peel pretty, there'll be egg salad for us and eggshells for him :)

For longer storage, you can scramble and freeze eggs for up to 6 months. 

Mari Mann said:

Use LOTS of salt in the water when you put them on to boil.  Pour the salt directly on the eggs.  And, yes.  Crack all the shells and let the eggs sit in the water for a bit before trying to peel them.

Nancy said:

I am not sure on that but I have been told that you can use fairly fresh eggs (a week or two old) and right after boiling while still in the water, put a crack in the shell and let them soak until the water is cool- I just use the heavy end of a butter knife.  This way the water seeps between the shell and the egg making it easier to peel...  I have tried it and it seems to work pretty well.  Try it with a small batch first.  Maybe one you'd use for egg salad sandwiches if it doesn't work out for you.

Mari Mann said:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library