HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Michael's recipes costs him $0.07 per load! Check it out here.

The Recipe

• 2 cups Borax
  • 2 cups Washing Soda
  • 1 regular sized bar Ivory Soap

Tags: laundry, soap

Views: 28

Replies to This Discussion

I have been doing this for over a year. I also add baking soda and make my own bar soap instead of the Ivory. Fels naptha soap works to if you can find it. It's nice to add essential oils to it as well :)
We use Fel-Naptha Soap, which is specifically for laundry applications and runs about $1.19 per bar. I try to avoid products made by Proctor and Gamble.
We've been doing this for around a year too, with great success. We add citrus oils like grapefruit to the detergent, to me it has a nice clean scent. To anyone who is skeptical about homemade detergent, I dare you to try it! You will be won over!
For a little boost on fighting tough stains I use the detergent and a little baking soda mixed in, a pre-treat, letting it soak for a few hours.

I've also been making my own for years but I don't use any bar soap now, just equal parts borax, washing soad and baking soda.

I started with ivory and then switched to my own cold press for years, fels naptha is actually pretty harsh. But I've found that no bar soap is needed for clean fresh laundry  :)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library