HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I've received the  Johnny's, High Mowing Organic and Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalogs and just beginning to dive into planning my urban garden (aka "the back forty"). I'll have a CSA share, too, so will want to supplement what I expect to receive in that. Some definites:

Herbs - Dill, Basil, Thyme, Chives...

 

Flowers: Chamomile, Echinacea / Coneflower, Bee Balm, Bergamot, Lavender (plus bulbs already planted)

Tomatoes

Delicata squash

Kale

Cucumbers

Watermelon

Arugula

Lettuce

Any recommendations?

Tags: catalog, garden, planning, seed

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion



pelenaka said:

I plant what I know we will eat & need and what will give me the most bang for my effort.

Since my canning efforts are based on our menu I plant my garden accourdingly.  

Year before last I caned up a few dozen pints of both Dill and Bread & Butter pickles which the majority of jars are still on the pantry shelf so no need to plant dill or pickling cukes this year.

This year I want to try growing one of those tomatoes that can be stored for extended periods of time.

Chard - great fresh, frozen or even canned.

Brussel sprouts - because I can't afford retail organic.

Planted aspargus last fall but I don't have high hopes.

 

 Plant your Asparagus in a low spot in your yard. It loves to be wet. I see it growing in the ditches in Michigan when we go home.

 

 

 

Yummo!



Mike Lieberman said:

My balcony is east facing and only gets about 4-6 hours, so for me greens and some herbs work best. Have about 10 self-watering containers now. Wanna build a few more. They are mostly filled with lettuces, collards and kale. 

 

Rachel have you ever made potato and leek soup?

I am a seed saver.  I harvest most of my veggies but always leave some to age for best seeds. I save basil, long beans, mustard and lettuce seed.

Shellie A. Gades said:

Does anyone have a "favorite" seed company that they use? I see no mention of Gurney's... is that a sign?

got my sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives and mint going yr round. starting seeds for cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, ring of fire chili peppers, and beans. Had good luck in the past with tomatoes, until the bugs got em. Trying to find a good non chemical fix to that problem this year.



David P. McMillen said: I am trying out Seeds of Change, on advice of my Philosophy prof at school



Kelly Mahler said:

I am a seed saver.  I harvest most of my veggies but always leave some to age for best seeds. I save basil, long beans, mustard and lettuce seed.

Shellie A. Gades said:

Does anyone have a "favorite" seed company that they use? I see no mention of Gurney's... is that a sign?



David P. McMillen said:

got my sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives and mint going yr round. starting seeds for cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, ring of fire chili peppers, and beans. Had good luck in the past with tomatoes, until the bugs got em. Trying to find a good non chemical fix to that problem this year.

 

For bugs I use this natural mix.

boil 2 crush garlic cloves & 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper in Three cups of water. Do it in the microwave. It's strong smelling. Use ventalation. Pour through a coffee filter into a spray bottle.

Add 1ounce of Bourbon or Vodka liquor of  your choice and 1 ounce of ammonia with a few drops of dish detergent.  When cooled, spray on in the mornings. It really helps



Kelly Mahler said:

Yummo!



Mike Lieberman said:

My balcony is east facing and only gets about 4-6 hours, so for me greens and some herbs work best. Have about 10 self-watering containers now. Wanna build a few more. They are mostly filled with lettuces, collards and kale. 

 

Rachel have you ever made potato and leek soup?

 

Several Herbs do really well in facing East. Mother of Thyme likes the east but, likes dry feet. Lavander also does well remember to sweeten the soil with lime. Mints like it cool and wet and do well in heavy shade, Oregano likes it dry and facing east but it gets tall. Put Oregano in the back. Chives also will do great. I'll keep my thinking cap on hope that helps. Kelly

 

Can you use rubbing alcohol in place of the vodka or bourbon as the carrier agent for the bug repellent?
 
Kelly Mahler said:



David P. McMillen said:

got my sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives and mint going yr round. starting seeds for cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, ring of fire chili peppers, and beans. Had good luck in the past with tomatoes, until the bugs got em. Trying to find a good non chemical fix to that problem this year.

 

For bugs I use this natural mix.

boil 2 crush garlic cloves & 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper in Three cups of water. Do it in the microwave. It's strong smelling. Use ventalation. Pour through a coffee filter into a spray bottle.

Add 1ounce of Bourbon or Vodka liquor of  your choice and 1 ounce of ammonia with a few drops of dish detergent.  When cooled, spray on in the mornings. It really helps

  Ah February, when my garden always looks (in my mind) it's best!  I've got 4 raised beds each about 40 sq ft. Three are knee high stone and one I'm just starting made of straw bales.  The new one has a good bit of manure with leaves and grass clippings.  I'm afraid the mix will be too strong this year so I'm going to try burning the nitrogen down with some hopefully large pumpkins (seeds anyone?), a decorative red corn(thanks Sharon), nasturtiums, and some pole beans (anyone know if there is a yellow pole bean?).  The 2nd bed is more composted down (Denver is pretty dry so short of spiking the water bill to grow dirt I am just patient - any other ideas?). In it I'm going to try carrots and onions to the south-side with spinach throughout to be followed by genovese basil and Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes.  I had great success last year with each last year including some mongo big tomatoes I got to give my Dad.  He has a definite prejudice for big tomatoes and I get the thrill of being successful in his eyes.  The 3rd bed is already planted with shallots.  I'll add an early lettuce followed by whatever sweet peppers I can coax to start indoors.  I had lousy luck last year with the peppers not sprouting so we'll see.  Along with some other sweet peppers I'm going to try (but think my season is too short) some Aji Dulce Venezuelan sweet peppers my sister in law gave me seeds for.  The north 40 :~) I'm going to use a mix I had good luck with last year.  Early, snow peas to the north of cilantro with whatever cilantro gets away from me being my coriander (and next years seeds).  I'll follow with cukes and melons.  I swear fewer cucumbers this year!  The melons I've had good luck three years running are Ha Ogen an heirloom with a reasonably short season.  If the melons produce again this year I'm going to try making gelato I've heard it's easy (anyone know how?)  I'm going to try adding in with the cilantro some anise just to see.  I'll add in radishes cabbage and summer squash wherever my brilliant planning meet a less than perfect reality.  Thanks for letting me have a little February dreamin'      

On the tomatoes/bugs I'm no expert but I've had good luck so far mixing basil in with tomatoes and changing beds each year.  Every gardens different so... Sounds like you've got a good pot of chili planned! 

David P. McMillen said:

got my sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives and mint going yr round. starting seeds for cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, ring of fire chili peppers, and beans. Had good luck in the past with tomatoes, until the bugs got em. Trying to find a good non chemical fix to that problem this year.

No ideas sorry, but if you do it I'm curious about mushrooms so please post you're results.

Mud Pies to Sticky Buns said:

I'm big on adding different things every year to my returning garden. That way for the most part it all comes back every year.  Plus seed saving and swapping! This year I added elephant garlic and 3 color onions ! Can't wait to see how they come out. Plus i'm looking at doing home grown mushrooms? Anyone have ideas on that project?

Corn? Peppers?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library