HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Is it really safe to use Organic Miracle Grow on my veggies?  I'm totally new to gardening so other than compost, I don't know how to fertilize my plants.   I'm limited to a small container garden at this time.  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Here's what I started using:

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod102...

I'm also using their potting soil, but should I mix the potting mix with the potting soil? 

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recommend visiting a local nursery (not HD) and asking them what will work for your area and such. Look into vermicomposting too. Its not expensive to set up and the worm castings are a really awesome fertilizer. In the meantime, both seaweed and fish emulsion are great plant foods that are available through a nursery. Just follow label directions for dilution amounts.
I use worm poop, seaweed, and a granular food on my plants on a fairly weekly-ish basis. Working great so far. For bugs, I use Dr Bronners peppermint soap and water in a spray bottle and neem concentrate in water in a broader application. So far so good.
Seriously I cannot recommend composting enough. There are a lot of great options including bokashi and vermicomposting that can give you quick results.

Good luck and happy gardening!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library