HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I received my Excalibur dehydrator and was anxious to give it a whirl this weekend.  I dehydrated some carrots, green beans, and banana sticks.  My main reason for getting the dehydrator was to dehydrate veggies for snacks at work.  The green beans came out teeny tiny and crispy - which I like crispy - however, just after a few hours, they turned more tough and chewy.  Please advise me how to keep the "crispy" texture (as if baked) or if I am expecting too much.  I put some in a plastic ziplock baggie and some in a Mason jar - which neither kept the beans crispy.  Any helpful hints would be great.  Thanks!

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Gayle! I've forwarded your question along to fellow HOMEGROWN member Cynthia, who seems to have had great success with her dehydrator. Maybe she can help out!

Things do tend to get a bit more chewy as they cool. I think the best chance of maintaining the crispiness is to dehydrate the beans (or whatever) longer to get more of the moisture out. A  big problem is that if the storage container isn't 100% airtight, moist air will get in and partially rehydrate them.  If cost isn't a factor, you can vacuum seal them with moisture absorbers to keep them from rehydrating. Otherwise, perhaps try putting them in a ziplock bags, then in a mason jar. Just for a little more protection. Also, try to dehydrate items when it isn't humid (not sure where you live) so they don't rehydrate while cooling.

Also, if you have any other questions about dehydrating, feel free to message me/post on my profile. I am a dehydrating nut and have tried lots of weird things. LOL

Thank you for your response. I did message you with a friend request so I may be able to hound you with questions. Before you responded I wound up putting the beans back into the dehydrator overnight. They came out really crunchy and have stayed that way in my Mason jar. I snack on them as is--even adding them in my protein shake. Question now--is there any nutrition left in the beans when dehydrating them to the crispy point or am I totally deceiving myself?

There is still a good amount of nutrition. Obviously, it decreases some, but I think it's a modest amount unless you're running it for a very long time or at a high temperature. I set mine at a medium setting when that's an option. Too high and you can burn items, too low and it can mold. 

Gayle Gibson said:

Thank you for your response. I did message you with a friend request so I may be able to hound you with questions. Before you responded I wound up putting the beans back into the dehydrator overnight. They came out really crunchy and have stayed that way in my Mason jar. I snack on them as is--even adding them in my protein shake. Question now--is there any nutrition left in the beans when dehydrating them to the crispy point or am I totally deceiving myself?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library