HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

My husband and I recently moved into a rental house with a tiny backyard that's been used as a dog run. Dog shit everywhere, patchy grass, hard soil . . . it's a mess. When spring comes, we plan to turn it into a vegetable garden, but we're not sure how to best prep it during the winter. I think mulching sounds like a good idea, but I can't decide whether to go with plastic mulch or an organic method.

Normally, I'd be all over organic mulching, especially since we have huge piles of autumn leaves to use up. Given the ridiculous amounts of dog feces in the soil, though, I'm not sure it would be safe to grow vegetables there without some kind of barrier between the soil and the raised beds we're planning to put in this spring. Has anybody else managed to salvage a former dog run? Any advice?

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm using a mixture for my compost pile (fermented sugars,herbal extracts lactic acid bacteria) It also works on the dog poop I get arround the house (I have 3 dogs).If you want some of the compost starter led me know.
Please send me yur recepe for compoting dog crap
thanks
Has anyone seen or used one of those "doggie septic tanks"? I have seen them advertised and they look pretty simple. Does anyone know if they work? Are they worth the price, or is it something I can do myself?
Has anyone seen or used one of those "doggie septic tanks"? I have seen them advertised and they look pretty simple. Does anyone know if they work? Are they worth the price, or is it something I can do myself?
I am having great sucess vermicomposting the dog poop that gets contributed to my lawn. Most composters suggest that it is a bad idea to try putting waste into a normal compost pile, but the red wigglers are all over the dog leavings.
I had the same problem. What did I do? Raised bed gardening! It solved all my problems. I was able to get the soil I wanted in there. I was able to plant more using the square foot gardening method. Texas is in a severe drought and I have had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I don't water nearly as much as I would have if I'd gardened in the ground

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_6004

IMG_6004

• IMG_2197

IMG_2197