HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

In expectation of being driven inside by the cold new england winter... does anyone have suggestions for mini indoor crops? Something easy that will happily grow and produce near a window? I'd love to have some homegrown edibles through the season..

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try some greens!! Then we can have a big salad. I think I am going to have to give up on my tomatoes soon, I didn't pollinate them properly :( Or maybe a couple of carrot seeds in a deep pot???
oh yes! i will have to find some window pots of a sort... that the roommates won't take offense at. hmph. i think greens are pretty easy indoors though... not like your tricky tomatoes!! Who would've thought..
I wonder if radishes would grow inside?? We could be tres french and eat them on some homemade bread with salt.

Alexandra Gamble said:
Try some greens!! Then we can have a big salad. I think I am going to have to give up on my tomatoes soon, I didn't pollinate them properly :( Or maybe a couple of carrot seeds in a deep pot???
Lifehacker has an interesting article today that you might find useful: http://lifehacker.com/5398310/turn-a-sunny-window-into-a-hydroponic...
I planted arugula in my kitchen! I'll post a blog about my first salad, but it is SUPER easy and price-effective. I bought a 1 lb. bag of arugula seed from SproutPeople.com and keep it in the freezer (along with other yummy sprout mixes).
Such a cool concept.. I built a trial window farm yesterday so we'll see how it goes! It's just a small one-column and a not as advanced as their's is- no timed watering system!- but I love the idea. Hopefully I feast on homegrown salads this winter.

JoyfulC said:
Lifehacker has an interesting article today that you might find useful: http://lifehacker.com/5398310/turn-a-sunny-window-into-a-hydroponic...
SPROUTS- MUNG ETC.

The article I was going to direct you to has gone :(

I'll have to tell you myself....

Its really easy, very very simple. First you get a 2 litre bottle/large one. You just need to cut a large flap in the side. This acts as a water outflow. You then fill it with some sprout seeds and let them soak in water overnight, quantities are not the strong point of this answer, a few handfulls I guess.
Set 2 is to drain the water out and rinse them daily to give them a drink. Leave the bottle as near to a window as possible, near will do as they don't really need much light at all. Blutak could be useful to stop them rolling about.
Most herbs! Amazing yeah?! Just heard that so I'm planning a big indoor herb garden, much better than not going out to the garden for them!
Hi Kali, Sprouts are the way to go in the winter. I planted lettuce and spinach in my new greenhouse in November and ate my first spinach salad today! I live about a half hour or so from you. If I had planted sooner I would have been able to eat it sooner though. You could do low tunnels and get the same result. They are cheap and easy.
Wheatgrass is always so easy and soooo packed with the good stuff we need for the winter blues. I am in Texas and going stir crazy!! Go ahead and call me I whimp ......this cold stuff is more than I am use to.
Would love to get a report from Kali from last year. Anyone have success stories to share?
Viggie- I am so impressed. It sounds like you have quite the indoor harvest going on. Out of curiousity, where are you located? I hadn't even thought of the possibilities of indoor fruit growing... sounds amazing! I'm just wondering if my daytime sunlight will be too short.
And as for my window garden... I did end up with two very successful banana pepper plants! I ended up transplanting them early in the summer and they produced well throughout the season. I also have a small parsley plant that was a product from the window garden. It just moved back indoors and is currently trying to grow leggy on me on its little indoor table.
I think once we get into early spring here I might do some more window gardening to start some of my garden plants for the year. It was a fun and simple project.
salad greens, radish, tomatoes, and even some peas will grow and produce near a bright window. I have put some grow lights in the basement where I am growing the excess tropical house plants and some veg now. It seems to be working great, though you have to remember to keep a fan on so that you don't get molds as the dampness will cling to the walls and things.
Funny that after adding the fan the basement lost that damp smell entirely.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library