HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

If you could pick ONE gardening book as your authoritative source, which would it be?

What book have you found to be the most helpful? Can you name just one? OK, maybe two.

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades by Steve Solomon.
SECONDED

Rachel said:
The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is really the only book I need - though I have many others.
Northern California Gardening - a month-by-month quide by Katherine Greene keeps me on track, and All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew helps me get the most from my garden. Those are my two favorites.
The winner of the giveaway is lasharb!
Go ahead and send me an email with your mailing address and I'll send your copy of Mini Farming - Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre by Brett L. Markham.

http://www.skyhorsepublishing.com/details.php?TitleID=209

If you have no idea what I'm talking about: check your junk mail filters for an email from "mail at HOMEGROWN-dot-org" announcing a giveaway. Don't miss out on the next one!
Can a "book" be a website? I love the Garden Girl and refer to her website all the time! http://gardengirltv.com/
I agree I love Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades. Steve Solomon is the most intelligent gardener I've ever heard about. He has another book that isn't so regional with a lot more great info. I never really understood soil, root depths, compost, organic soil amendments, the importance of good seed stock, etc. until I started reading Steve Solomon's stuff. I keep one or the other by my bed, if you can believe that!

Melissa Prcic said:
Right now its Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades. He's authoritative, and it's regionally focused, but sometimes I feel like he's veering off into diatribe/rant territory with his proscriptions...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library