HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

The recipe below, on how to make hummus, comes from HOMEGROWN’s flock tender, Jennifer, who likes her hummus spicy and her bread yeasty.

I eat a lot of hummus—maybe more than the average person. Probably more than the average person. Along with PB&J and tuna sandwiches, it’s one of the triumvirate of lunches I turn to when I don’t have leftovers handy. If it’s not embarrassing enough to admit I sometimes eat hummus for months at a time, here’s a doozy: Despite my taste for the stuff and that it only takes two minutes to make, I had never blended my own batch until last week. (I know, I know.) But now I'm making up for lost time: I’ve whipped up two more rounds since then. So easy. So delicious. So, let’s get started!

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

Makes about 3 sandwiches.

» 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (You can use dried chickpeas but you have to cook them, and then we're no longer talking a two-minute lunch.)

» ½ cup tahini

» ¼ to ½ cup olive oil

» 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled

» 1 to 2 Tbsp lemon juice, to taste

» Salt and pepper, to taste

» 1 tsp cumin or paprika (optional)

» 1 Tbsp basil, rosemary, or tarragon, roughly chopped (optional)

WHAT TO DO

Put the first five ingredients in a food processor and blend. This makes a pretty beefy hummus, so if you prefer a creamier consistency, add more olive oil. (Trust me: You don’t want to use the liquid from the canned chickpeas. It’s gross.) Taste-test and tweak seasonings as desired, then choose between those last few optional ingredients, add any additions to the food processor, and pulse a few seconds more. (I wouldn’t recommend going for cumin and basil; sometimes less is more. Although the next time I have them handy, I’m trying green peas.) Spread on cucumber sandwiches or serve alongside raw veggies as a dip—and enjoy! 

If you're feeling fancy, check out Kirsten's buffalo butternut squash hummus or her avocado feta hummus, and for a slightly more involved (but delicious!) process, don't miss HOMEGROWN member Anne's recipe for the best smooth hummus over on her website, Food Retro. 

SPEAK UP!

Got another twist on traditional hummus you’d like to share? Post it below and keep the conversation rolling! Want something to dip in that hummus? Check out the Homemade Crackers 101. You might also be interested in 101s on making homemade tofu, harissa, ketchup, guacamole, peanut butter, pickles, and on canning tuna at home. You can always find more things to cook, preserve, plant, grow, make, craft, and blend in the HOMEGROWN 101 Library.

PHOTOS: JENNIFER

Views: 410

Reply to This

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_0071

IMG_0071

• IMG_0068