HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

My kiddos and husband LOVE packaged snacks! I am looking for good homegrown and homemade alternatives. I have made homemade granola which they love for breakfast but what else can I make for them that is salty and relatively easy to make?

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Hannah! Try these adorable homemade goldfish crackers!

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/homemade-goldfish-crackers/
Yummm! Great snack for Superbowl Sunday. Thanks Caroline

Caroline Malcolm said:
Hey Hannah! Try these adorable homemade goldfish crackers!

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/homemade-goldfish-crackers/
wow, those look delicious! I think my kids would have a blast cutting out all the shapes too.
Care to share the granola recipe? I dried cherry tomatoes this year in the dehydrator with garlic, basil and some 'Slap ya Mama' sprinkled over it. :) It's like snackable salsa/pizza. The kids like it, I LOVE it. :) My oldest loves dried banana too.
Oh my god Rachel, those dried tomatoes sound awesome. I've been meaning to dehydrate the last of our cherry tomatoes and now this is a MUST TRY!
? what is "Slap ya Mama"?

rachel whetzel said:
Care to share the granola recipe? I dried cherry tomatoes this year in the dehydrator with garlic, basil and some 'Slap ya Mama' sprinkled over it. :) It's like snackable salsa/pizza. The kids like it, I LOVE it. :) My oldest loves dried banana too.
Sl
salt??
This granola recipe came from www.thefamilyhomestead.com , it works really well!

One low heat in a small saucepan add:
1/2 cup light olive oil or canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
Heat until everything mixes really well. It does NOT have to bubble but it's ok if it does.

Meanwhile, mix together in a large bowl:
6 cups rolled oats
1 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1/2 cup whole wheat flower
1 tsp cinnamon

Add the warm liquid mixture and mix together with a spoon. When it cools down a little get in there with your hands and smoosh to make sure everything is mixed really well. Spread onto a cookie sheet.

Bake a 300 degrees F, stirring every 15 minutes or so until golden brown (about 40 minutes).

At this point you can add whatever you want but for some nutritional punch I add a half a cup each of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and chopped almonds. Great with yogurt!
Thank you so much!! I was thinking it would be great with my Zoi. :)

These are my favourite homemade snacks =))

http://jovankebashtovankekutlacha.blogspot.com/2013/12/krekeri-sesa...

Sesame seeds crackers

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups spelt flour
2/3 cups oat flour
40 ml olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
cca 120 ml water
3 tbsp sesame seeds
Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to a 350 F.
2. In a pan toast the sesame seeds for about 3-4 minutes until their lovely smell starts to spread. 
3. Sift the flours in a bowl, add salt and the seeds. 
4. Gradually add oil and water and knead a non-sticky dough.
5. Roll the dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes. 
6. Line them on a baking paper and bake for about 15 minutes depending on how strong your oven is. Check a few times so they don't burn.
7. Watch out--they are very addictive! 

Kori: Yum! I'll bring the cheese! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by