HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

This homemade mustard recipe comes from HOMEGROWN’s flock tender, Jennifer, who toasts her Bavarian heritage with every mustard-slathered bite.

The only thing that could have made my recent batch of soft pretzels even better would have been some homemade mustard to dip them in. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t have the thought quite early enough: This mustard recipe needs about a week in the fridge to come to full maturity. Lucky for you, you can learn from my mistakes. If you follow this mustard recipe now and preheat your oven for pretzels in exactly one week, you’ll be in Oktoberfest heaven!

While researching mustard recipes, I came across Splendid Table’s interview with Noelle Carter. The post features recipes for several delicious-sounding varieties—herbed honey mustard, hard cider mustard—but in the name of my German heritage, I couldn’t pass up her beer and caraway version. The 101 below follows Carter’s recipe loosely, with a few tweaks. (For starters, although I love a dark beer, it seemed almost unteutonic not to substitute an Oktoberfest lager for the suggested stout.) All together now: Prost!

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

Makes about 1 pint.

» ¼ cup mustard seeds

» ½ cup mustard powder

» 1 Tbsp caraway seeds

» 1/4 cup water

» ½ cup beer (preferably German-style, bitte!)

» 1 tsp salt

» 2 Tbsp brown sugar

» ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

WHAT TO DO

1. Toast the caraway seeds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until just fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes, shaking often. Let them cool slightly then crush them in a molcahete (pictured below) or in a spice or coffee grinder.

2. Put the caraway seeds, mustard seeds, mustard powder, water, and beer in a glass or ceramic bowl. Let it sit out on the counter, covered but not airtight, for 24 hours.

When the next day dawns, your mustard will have come to look and smell like primordial sludge. The first photo below shows the mustard at the beginning of the ferment; the second is 24 hours later—nearly solid.

3. Dump the gloop in a food processor and add the salt, sugar, and Worcestershire. Pulse for up to 5 minutes, until the seeds are ground. Get a whiff of that tang!

4. As Noelle says, the stuff is STRONG. I dipped my pinkie in, and while I like condiments that pack a punch, this was more like a knockout. Here’s where patience comes in. Refrigerate your mustard in a jar for a week and let it get over its adolescence. Never fear: Like many of us, it will mellow as it matures.

5. And here’s where I leave you—for now, at least. Meanwhile, my mustard is chilling, growing up to be a finely aged condiment. Based on the pinkie test, I’m feeling confident enough in the results to share this 101, but I’ll keep you posted. Who knows? It’s Oktoberfest now, but Halloween is coming. Keep your fingers crossed for a treat, no tricks!

6. One week and one day later: The verdict? Mouthwatering but—GESUNDHEIT! This mustard will clear out your sinuses! In other words, deliciously piquant and full of flavor but not for the faint of heart. As noted in a response to Janet, below, it's more horseradish hot than blisteringly hot, a big personality that will stand up to pretzels, brats, egg salad, salad dressing, or as a marinade for meat or fish. I am already addicted.