HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

This 101 comes from HOMEGROWN member Christine of the awesome blog Unspeakable Visions and is crossposted here. Thanks, Christine! We raise a steamy mug to you!

I've seen a few other chai recipes floating around and thought I would add my own take: a sweet, creamy concentrate that you can add to a cup of black tea—a bargain compared to the stuff that gets poured straight out of the box at coffee shops. The recipe comes from oregonlive.com; I found it a long time ago via Angry Chicken and saved it for a rainy day.

One year I made a big batch of chai to give as gifts. I patted myself on the back for compulsively saving glass jars (peanut butter, sauces, granola, jam), cleaned them out, and got started. We paired the jars of concentrate with my sister's delicious honey pistachio biscotti and a few bags of black tea so that friends could have a warm and cozy teatime, anytime.

RECIPE: HOMEMADE CHAI TEA CONCENTRATE
Makes one jar of 10 to 12 servings; amounts can be doubled or tripled or nontupled—whatever!

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

» 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

» 1 tsp granulated sugar

» 1 tsp ground cardamom

» 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

» 1/2 tsp ground cloves

» 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

WHAT TO DO
Mix all ingredients together in a jar. Given the slow-going nature of pouring the sweetened condensed milk, I strongly suggest—
if you’re making a mass quantity, as I did—that you spool up a movie or at least have some music playing while you wait. You can refrigerate the results for up to six months.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Add two heaping teaspoons, or more to taste, to a strong cup of black tea, such as Assam. Stir well and enjoy. So good and creamy and sweet—and if you like your tea less sweet, just use less concentrate. Cheers!

SPEAK UP!
Got you own chai tea recipe to share? Or a spice conundrum? Post it below and keep the conversation rolling. You might also check out the Honey Sticks and the Homemade Extracts 101s for more HOMEGROWN ways to satisfy a sweet tooth. And you can always find oodles more things to cook, preserve, plant, grow, make, craft, and blend in the HOMEGROWN 101 library.

PHOTO BY CHRISTINE

Views: 971

Reply to This

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library