HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

HELP! My tomato plants have not had a drink in 10 days!! How do I save my ghetto gutter garden??

Grrrrr...seething doesn't begin to cover it! My moronic landlord thought that it was a good idea to change the lock on our front door while we were on vacation. No, we've paid our rent - nothing like that. He's just that much of a procrastinator...our lock has been sticky for 14 months...grrrrrr.
So, by changing the lock, not calling us and not leaving a new key, he prevented our friend from coming in to water the plants - including my lovely heirloom tomato plants that were doing SO WELL up until then.
Of course, the five-gallon sub-irrigated container is doing OK, but the little seltzer bottles of basil and tomatoes are shriveled and sad. The sucker-purchased Topsy Turvy upside-down planter is a horrible sight - brown, shriveled leaves and wrinkly tomatoes - like one of those dried apple old ladies we used to make in first grade. Waaaaaah!!!**sob**
Is there any hope? Needless to say, I've watered everything - not overly so - and will keep giving the plants sips for a few days. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tags: drought, poisoningyourlandlord, water

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suggest sacrificing something in order to save your plants. Maybe a voodoo doll of your landlord? I'm always amazed by the ability of basil to bounce back - it's like a best friend; you can treat it like crap, but give it the right thing to drink and you'll be back in its good graces in no time! Not so sure about the tomatoes though...
I like the way you think, my friend! I might just start googling up some revenge potions!
The tomato leaves have bounced back, but the wrinkles are still there on the fruit. I mixed some fish emulsion into the water this morning, so let's see how the shrivelies are doing tonight when I get home. And you're right, the basil came back quickly like a champ!

matt said:
I suggest sacrificing something in order to save your plants. Maybe a voodoo doll of your landlord? I'm always amazed by the ability of basil to bounce back - it's like a best friend; you can treat it like crap, but give it the right thing to drink and you'll be back in its good graces in no time! Not so sure about the tomatoes though...
In the future, try using a self-water planters. I use these self-watering Lechuza because I travel a lot.
Sorry to hear about your plants, but thank goodness you didn't have pets!!!!!
Any update on the plant rehydration? Or did the Gutter Gulag put a stop to your garden?
Aww, aren't you sweet to check in! The tomatoes were definitely stunted by the trauma of no water, but the plants did bounce back and have rendered smallish, but yummy fruit. There are a bunch of greenies holding on - I hope they ripen.

Gutter Gulag - har! Well, I've met them half-way.

As of last night, the gutter is down. The Topsy Turvy they'll have to pull from my cold dead hands (or I will take it down at the end of the season). If window boxes are a "public safety hazard", then the City of Cambridge has a lot of threats to make. There you go. Fight the power.
That's just unbelievable!

It reminds me of a bylaw I heard of recently which forbade line drying of clothes outdoors. I guess people in that town have more money than common sense.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library