HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I'm trying to grow tomatoes, but the leaves keep getting these brown spots on them and turn yellow.  The plants have lots of fruit on them too.  Is that natural for the leaves to do that or is it some kind of disease?

Tags: Tomatoes, growing, tomatoes

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll add my tomato question to yours in hopes that we can both get some help:

I have six GIGANTIC tomato plants, but not very much fruit. There are some blossoms that have withered - probably from lack of water, but there are still viable blooms, too.

Would pruning them help? Fertilizer / feeding (organic options only, natch). What have I done wrong?

Thanks!

Yes it is very common to get all types of fungal diseases on your lower leaves HOWEVER... for most (with the exclusion of phytopthora, also known as late blight)  in most cases this won't really affect your fruit.  You can pick them off if they really bother you.  Without seeing a picture it is difficult to diagnose exactly what your plants have, although it does NOT sound like late blight at all, do not panic :)  If you are a home gardener I wouldn't recommend spraying any type of fungicide - it's just not necessary.

Cornelia - It's possible that the bloom failure is from lack of water or inconsistent watering.  It's also possible that it's a nutrient deficiency.  You should soil test (even with one of those cheap test from the hardware store).  Phosphorus is the nutrient that is most essential for flowering/fruiting.  A good organic option to treat is bone meal.  I don't know if there is a liquid feed that is high in P - b/c that would be faster acting.  

Hope this helps you both!

Cornelia,

Back in the good ole days when we got rain in Texas, I had the same issue.  Big plants, no fruit.  For me, it was too much water.  Also, the best organic fertilizer I've found for tomatoes is Rabbit Hill Farms Tomatoe and Pepper food.  I throw it out every 3 weeks.  At this point, all of my spring/summer tomatoes have succumbed to red spider and have been pulled up.  But, here in Texas, July is time to plant transplants for fall which I have put in, with shade cloth, it'll be 102 here today!

Thanks!  

Shira Friedman said:

Yes it is very common to get all types of fungal diseases on your lower leaves HOWEVER... for most (with the exclusion of phytopthora, also known as late blight)  in most cases this won't really affect your fruit.  You can pick them off if they really bother you.  Without seeing a picture it is difficult to diagnose exactly what your plants have, although it does NOT sound like late blight at all, do not panic :)  If you are a home gardener I wouldn't recommend spraying any type of fungicide - it's just not necessary.

Cornelia - It's possible that the bloom failure is from lack of water or inconsistent watering.  It's also possible that it's a nutrient deficiency.  You should soil test (even with one of those cheap test from the hardware store).  Phosphorus is the nutrient that is most essential for flowering/fruiting.  A good organic option to treat is bone meal.  I don't know if there is a liquid feed that is high in P - b/c that would be faster acting.  

Hope this helps you both!

My tomato plants also have this dry spotty leaf on the lower areas but not on the top areas. They have wonderful big fruit but should I pick off those leafs???  I grow my plants in Growboxes
You can if they bother you.  Truthfully though, your plants are less susceptible to a lot of different issues since they are grown in pots!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library