HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I came across some rad heirloom garlic yesterday and would love to try planting a few cloves. I don't trust my city soil, and haven't built our raised beds yet. Has anyone tried growing garlic in pots?

Tags: container, gardening, garlic, urban

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have, but with little success. You need a sizable pot (for multiple cloves) and lots of patience. Garlic seems to take a long time to mature, and since it's so cheap and plentiful, I decided to just buy it since it just wasn't maturing very well in my pot. However, I still continue to plant cloves in order to harvest the scapes -- the green shoots on a young bulb. I think those are totally worth it!
Should not be a problem I've seen Chives in pots. Garlic is not that deeply rooted. I'd make sure of good drainage & light soil. You could even bury the pot to the rim & mulch just like the garden.
I planted some elephant garlic in a very large container this year as an experiment and it did well. The container was well drained and sat on my back deck where it gets plenty of sunshine. As a result of my success, I plan to try it again. Good luck and enjoy using your own garlic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library