HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Anyone home grow their own fiber or spin? I love fiber and don't have any animals of my own (yet) But I knit and felt like crazy!  I even manage to sell it at local farmers markets. I would love to hear from other people who also have fiber obesssinos LOL

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had Icelandic sheep and have bags of yarn. Not sure how to market. I am in Canada. How would I get it to you?? Kelly
That sound amazing what are you asking for it? I have never done shipping to or from Canada, strange enough someone just asked me if I shipped my soaps to Canada.
We have our own. We have 5 English Angora Rabbits and 2 new babies but they are being sold. The colors we have are Fawn, White, Black , Opal and Blue.... They make really nice soft product. We dont spin but have someone spin it for us and they mix it in with sheep fleece. My goal is to have as many different colors of Angoras as possible because I really like the thought of having all these beautiful natural colors available. My hubby thinks I am crazy sometimes but it is better than some other addictions....LOL. Have a fun with with your knitting.
I would love to see a pic of the blue:) I have been begging the husband for angoras, eventually I will get my way lol

Jennifer Chrispell said:
We have our own. We have 5 English Angora Rabbits and 2 new babies but they are being sold. The colors we have are Fawn, White, Black , Opal and Blue.... They make really nice soft product. We dont spin but have someone spin it for us and they mix it in with sheep fleece. My goal is to have as many different colors of Angoras as possible because I really like the thought of having all these beautiful natural colors available. My hubby thinks I am crazy sometimes but it is better than some other addictions....LOL. Have a fun with with your knitting.
I usually charge $8-$10/skein. We have a number of different colors and weights. I think I could just mail it. Quite a bit of wool will fit in a shoe box, which I believe is relatively inexpensive to send through snail mail. I expect we will need to e-mail directly to arrange something further or how does that work?

Lizz said:
That sound amazing what are you asking for it? I have never done shipping to or from Canada, strange enough someone just asked me if I shipped my soaps to Canada.
Lizz.....give me a day or so.... We are getting ready for fair in a couple of weeks. I will take a Picture of the Blue for you....just to let you know I am not the best photographer in the world....But then you can see one.

Lizz said:
I would love to see a pic of the blue:) I have been begging the husband for angoras, eventually I will get my way lol

Jennifer Chrispell said:
We have our own. We have 5 English Angora Rabbits and 2 new babies but they are being sold. The colors we have are Fawn, White, Black , Opal and Blue.... They make really nice soft product. We dont spin but have someone spin it for us and they mix it in with sheep fleece. My goal is to have as many different colors of Angoras as possible because I really like the thought of having all these beautiful natural colors available. My hubby thinks I am crazy sometimes but it is better than some other addictions....LOL. Have a fun with with your knitting.
Eventually I'd like to raise dual-use rabbits for meat and fiber, but for the moment we're only planning meat rabbits.
I do! I have a small farm where I raise Icelandic sheep. In addition to selling wool to other fiber artists, I also spin, weave, felt, crochet, and knit. There's something so satisfying about making a finished item from materials that I have raised and processed myself.
I don't own any sheep, but my friend who knits showed me how to make felted soap and it is so fun and easy! We bought small bars of soap, and after the fibers had soaked in water for a short while, we covered the soap with the wet fiber. We then "mashed" the fiber over the soap to cover the bar completely, let it towel dry for the next two days, and Wala! We had felted soap. The felted soap is so pretty and smells so good, it's like having a scrubby everytime you wash your hands. We wrapped them in tissue paper and raffia,put them in a little box and gave them to my kids' teachers for Christmas.
we're going to do this so soon! very exciting and a great way to eliminate the slimy bars in our soap dish. XO

Diane Huyck said:
I don't own any sheep, but my friend who knits showed me how to make felted soap and it is so fun and easy! We bought small bars of soap, and after the fibers had soaked in water for a short while, we covered the soap with the wet fiber. We then "mashed" the fiber over the soap to cover the bar completely, let it towel dry for the next two days, and Wala! We had felted soap. The felted soap is so pretty and smells so good, it's like having a scrubby everytime you wash your hands. We wrapped them in tissue paper and raffia,put them in a little box and gave them to my kids' teachers for Christmas.

oh wow!  5?!  i have one.  he's a blue, i think, and he's incredible but lots of work to maintain.  he's sweet but he really doesn't like it when i comb around his back end, so i have to have him shaved sometimes.  how do you maintain yours?   i wish i had room for another angora baby!!  i'd love a white one!  

 

take care,

tifanie  :)

 

:::

Lizz said:

I would love to see a pic of the blue:) I have been begging the husband for angoras, eventually I will get my way lol

Jennifer Chrispell said:
We have our own. We have 5 English Angora Rabbits and 2 new babies but they are being sold. The colors we have are Fawn, White, Black , Opal and Blue.... They make really nice soft product. We dont spin but have someone spin it for us and they mix it in with sheep fleece. My goal is to have as many different colors of Angoras as possible because I really like the thought of having all these beautiful natural colors available. My hubby thinks I am crazy sometimes but it is better than some other addictions....LOL. Have a fun with with your knitting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library