HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

RECIPE: HOMEMADE DISHWASHING DETERGENT

Adapted from Being Creative (To Keep My Sanity), this recipe is very similar to the Homemade Laundry Detergent 101 but with the addition of Epsom salt and a twist: citric acid.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
For use in automatic dishwashers; one tablespoon = one load

>> 76-oz box Borax (or an equal amount of baking soda for those concerned about Borax)
>> 55-oz box of washing soda
>> 3 cups Epsom salt
>> 3 cups citric acid (available in the canning section of your hardware store, from cheesemaking suppliers, and online in bulk)

WHAT TO DO
Mix all of the ingredients well and store in an airtight container. Keep in mind that the mixture will clump over time; adding silica packets or marshmallows will help control moisture.

MORE FROM HOMEGROWN.ORG
• Margaret reminds us that diluted dish soap can be a handy garden antidote to fungus gnats.

• Mixed with egg, water, and hot sauce, dish detergent also works as a deer deterrent.

• And Doug recommends dish soap for taking the sting out of poison ivy.

SPEAK UP!
Got a question? A soapy solution? Post it below and keep the conversation rolling! For more household tips from HOMEGROWN folks, you might consider joining the Homemade Cosmetics or Earth Mamas and Papas groups. And check out DIY recipes for homemade laundry detergent and sunscreen—just two of the oodles of projects you can plant, grow, cook, preserve, make, build, and stir up in the HOMEGROWN 101 archive.

PHOTO BY PENELOPEJONZE, COURTESY OF CREATIVE COMMONS ON FLICKR

Tags: borax, detergent, dirty, dish, dishes, soap, washer

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So glad I joined Homegrown.  I've mastered homemade shampoo, laundry detergent & rinse, deodorant and toothpaste, but this is new.  Thanks so much.  What would we do without baking/washing soda and borax!

where do you buy washing soda?  I have never heard of it?

Hi, Cindy: It's this, available online and most likely at larger hardware stores.

Thanks for sharing I will definitely have to try this. 

I have made two smaller batches of dishwashing detergent and it works great. I made my own washing soda by baking the baking soda at 400 for an hour. This turns regulat baking soda into washing soda ( site below for more info) http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/05/08/ttt-turn-baking-soda-into-...

I also keep the citric acid separate so it doesn't clump. I put 1 tablespoon of the washing soda mixture and 2 teaspoons of citric acid in the dispenser and it works like a charm. We have very hard water so I also put vinegar in the rinse compartment which helps keep everything clear of film.

Thanks, Joan!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library