HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Someone gave me one of these and I have no idea what to do with it or what it tastes like.  Anyone got any ideas??

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it the winter or summer variety?

The winter variety can be used the same way as any other winter squash or pumpkin - baked, soups, pies, muffins, etc. The summer variety can be treated the same as a zucchini. I like to marinate mine in olive oil, various spices, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce then grill it.
Well Christene,
We got quite a response from HOMEGROWNers over on the Facebook page:

Cat Ryan
saute it up with garlic and onions! yummy!
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · · Flag

Pat Johnson
I agree with Cat. Simply cooking it will allow the undilutted taste to come through so you'll know what it tastes like. Then you can try more complicated receipes using it as one of the ingredients but know what it adds from the experience with the simple receipe!
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · · Flag

Colleen Vanderlinden
Or you can slice it into slices about one inch thick. brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill it. Yum!
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · · Flag

Christina Keibler Bolas
Grate it, mix with egg and a big of flour, add some feta and fry 'em. Great snack food to grab-n-go cold from the fridge. Or have 'em for lunch or dinner! I do this all the time. It works for all squashes.
7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 2 peopleLoading... · · Flag

Nancy Jo Rainer
Crookneck is like pan squash. Slice it in quarter inch slices and lay in a buttered pan. Dot with more butter, desired spices and grated, fresh parmeson. Bake for 1/2 hr. Even my little grandsons liked this!
3 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading... · · Flag

Susan Haas
Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill, then sprinkle with julienned fresh basil. Same as green zucchini.
2 hours ago · LikeUnlike · · Flag
Nancy Smith

You can use it anywhere you use zucchini except maybe baked goods.
I've made pickles and relish using zucchini recipes, serve it by itself in the peak of the season, added to soups and any casserole that includes veggies. One thing, though, hard as I have tried, I have never been able to freeze it truly successfully. It always gets kind of ... See Morerubbery-blanch, not blanch, blanch different times-always rubbery.
My family always liked it cooked briefly in a small amount of water until the water evaporates, throw a little butter on it, season to taste.
It cooks really fast.
Thank you for posting this on facebook it also allowed me to find the right page to like and follow there too! I will let you know what I do with it.

Young yellow crookneck squash is delicious sliced and sauteed in a little butter, then scrambled with eggs for breakfast!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library