HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Hi all,  I'm brand new around here, so I'm still trying to familiarize myself with this site and all it has to offer.  Since I haven't quite figured out how to search the archives to see if my question has already been addressed, I'm going to ask again.  I've got some raw venison stew meat that I want to turn into venison stew and can.  I've never canned meat before, despite my name, Canningmama, and the extensive canning I have done!  So, my question is, can I raw pack meat, potatoes, carrots, and celery, then pressure can it? Or should I cook it first?  Should I add water? Or just pack meat, veggies, and can? I definitely want to put the veggies with the meat and can it all together because I don't  have very much meat (about 8 lb) so mixing together now will stretch my meat.  So, raw pack? Or hot pack? And how much time for quarts? I live at 3000 ft, so I can at `12lb pressure.  Thanks!!! :)

Views: 1395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Canningmama. What a good question! I made it today's Daily Bite, at the top of the homepage, so fingers crossed we'll get some good advice. Another HOMEGROWN member just investigated the same thing, but in reference to canning tuna; if you're curious, you can read her 101 here. OK! Let's synchronize our watches and meet back here soon—with answers, I hope!

Thanks, Jennifer! I've googled it and haven't gotten very many clear answers.  I'm hoping to get some answers in the next few hours, because I'm going to start on it soon.  If I don't get answers, i think I will just lightly brown the meat and lightly blanch the veggies (so the meat and veggies will pack a little more tightly in the jars) and pressure can it! I'd like some experienced canners out there to give me their 2 cents worth though, so go ahead folks, tell me how to do it! :)  Thanks! :)

This just in from new member Kevin Powell (@sebald) via Twitter: "We hot pack anything that has meat in it, plus it looks better after canned."

I was just wondering how your venison canning adventure turned out.  I just got done with five days of deer hunting here in Iowa and I have about 25 pounds of venison that I'm starting to can tonight.  I hope that everything turned out ok.  BTW, we can meat at 15 lb pressure (we're at about 1200 ft), hot pack it, and process for 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts.

Kevin, it went very well.  I put some oil in my pot and added the venison.  I didn't do it in batches and I didn't brown it completely before I added the other ingredients.  I just threw it in there and started chopping potatoes and carrots to add to the mix.  After I had the desired amount of potatoes and carrots in there, I added celery, salt, pepper, sage, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and tarragon.  I cooked it for a bit until the meat was brown and the veggies were soft. I then packed the jars and canned it for 90 minutes.  I ended up with 12 quarts of venison stew! :)

Oh, I started with 8lb meat and added at least that many potatoes and about 4 lb???? carrots.

Hey, Canningmama. Sorry we didn't drum up more input beforehand, but it sounds like you made it a rousing success! Do you have any photos of the finished product you'd be willing to share?

Well, I was going to do just that, but then the LIVE deer came into my house, spreading blood all over the house, and I had to wipe blood splatter off the cans and get them into the basement so the home restoration could clean the walls off around where the jars were sitting!  So, taking a photo has been placed on the back burner for now. (I posted another post with the whole story if you haven't seen it)

Whoa. I mean ... whoa. I hadn't seen your other post; thanks for mentioning it. If other folks haven't seen it, either, it's here. But get ready. It's something else. And Canningmama, you and your husband deserve the brave mama and papa of the year awards.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library