HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Canning meats is easy to do and is a great way to preserve the meat. More importantly to me is that it makes it convenient to have meat in a minute from the jar so I don't have to spend the time cooking it at mealtime. The basic procedure is to pack raw meat into jars leaving an inch of headspace. You don't have to add anything else. Just put the lids and rings on and process for 75 mnutes (pints) or 90 minutes (quarts). If you choose you may add spices & salt but I like to can mine without them so I can have a more versitile product when finished.

I can boneless skinless chicken breast with no additional liquid, salt or spice.

I then use it directly from the can to make great chicken salad. Just pour off the broth (maybe save it for rice the next meal) and flake it apart (it's really tender) and add the mayo, relish and whatever else you want in your chicken salad.

I also use the canned chicken to make pizza, quasidillias, salads and even stir fri where I just add it at the last minute (since it's already cooked). I sometimes just stir it in with a little BBQ sause and make a BBQ chicken sandwich.

Views: 993

Replies to This Discussion

Ok I missed something what is Rghaif?  I am always open to new recipes and it sounds like this group has great one.

Zoubida Ayyadi said:

I feel there are good things to come Cornelia. Exciting too.

Pat, try the Rghaif and let me know if you liked them. I got to make a huge amount of them during my now 16 years stay in Canada, and my Canadians friends and family (my husband is Canadian) just love them. It's the first thing that people ask me to prepare for pot lucks and family reunions. Their favorites are meat and cheese filled.

Zoubida added the recipe to the Apron Stings group and under the discussion Quick-Good-Healthy-Dinner

Christene said:

Ok I missed something what is Rghaif?  I am always open to new recipes and it sounds like this group has great one.

Zoubida Ayyadi said:

I feel there are good things to come Cornelia. Exciting too.

Pat, try the Rghaif and let me know if you liked them. I got to make a huge amount of them during my now 16 years stay in Canada, and my Canadians friends and family (my husband is Canadian) just love them. It's the first thing that people ask me to prepare for pot lucks and family reunions. Their favorites are meat and cheese filled.

Corned Beef & Pastrami both start out the same. Once the beef is “corned” it can be boiled, steamed or baked to become Corn Beef or it can be rubbed and smoked to become Pastrami.

Recipe:
· 8lbs Brisket or Bottom Round Roast (Roast is leaner)
· 4 cups water
· 1 cup canning salt
· 1 teaspoon Saltpeter/Potassium Nitrate which can be purchased at a pharmacy. The Saltpeter keeps the beef’s red color andprotects it against Botulizm during the brine stage. Its optional if you don’t mind the change in color to a grayer color and are willing to brine it in the fridge. (Spectracide Stump Remover is 100% Saltpeter/Potasium Nitrate and can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot)
· 12 cloves of garlic
· 3 tbs pickling spice
· 8 bay leaves

Boil the water and add the salt, saltpeter and the allow it to cool. Add the remaining ingredients and place the beef in a container and pour the liquid over it. The meat should be completely covered/immersed so you may need to put a plate on the beef and weigh it down to make sure it stays under the surface. Refrigerate or place in a cool place for 3 weeks. Drain and remove bay leaves before cooking. Soak in cold water and rinse several times for a few hours to remove some of the saltiness before cooking.

At this point the Corned Beef may be cooked as Corned Beef or further processed as Pastrami. To Make Pastrami follow the instructions below.

Make the rub….
· 4 tbs canning/kosher salt
· 4 tbs paprika
· 3 tbs Coriander
· 2 tbs black peppercorns (Grind)
· 1 tbs white peppercorns (Grind)
· 3 tbs brown sugar
· 2 tbs yellow mustard seed
· 8 cloves garlic (minced)
Apply the rub and smoke at 225 degrees for 60 minutes per pound using a mild smoking wood
I deleted and then reposted the recipe. I's listed on page 6 of this discussion (for some reason my computer wouldn't let me reply to your message so I am posting the reply here).

Christene said:
Would you mind sending me the recipe my oldest son loves and begs for corn beef and cabbage.  He is a little finicky with his eating but his one he loves.

Pat Johnson said:
Making the Corned beef was easy and it tasted great. I now do a batch annually and Debbie and I both love it. I have to say that it is not a lot different than the commercial stuff sold in the grocery stores with respect to taste and texture. However, I use London Broil as opposed to Brisket and consequently mine has less fat in it.

Christene said:
Pat I noticed in the back log of discussion you did corn beef - how did that work for you and would you do it again.

Pat

I have it now thank you.  We bought a part of a cow last year and I have some of the Bottom Round Roast's frozen can I thaw them and use them for this or is it better to start with fresh.

Pat Johnson said:

I deleted and then reposted the recipe. I's listed on page 6 of this discussion (for some reason my computer wouldn't let me reply to your message so I am posting the reply here).

Christene said:
Would you mind sending me the recipe my oldest son loves and begs for corn beef and cabbage.  He is a little finicky with his eating but his one he loves.

Pat Johnson said:
Making the Corned beef was easy and it tasted great. I now do a batch annually and Debbie and I both love it. I have to say that it is not a lot different than the commercial stuff sold in the grocery stores with respect to taste and texture. However, I use London Broil as opposed to Brisket and consequently mine has less fat in it.

Christene said:
Pat I noticed in the back log of discussion you did corn beef - how did that work for you and would you do it again.
I'm sure thawing it out and using it would be just fine.

Christene said:

Pat

I have it now thank you.  We bought a part of a cow last year and I have some of the Bottom Round Roast's frozen can I thaw them and use them for this or is it better to start with fresh.

Pat Johnson said:

Christene said:

Pat Johnson said:

Christene said:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library