HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

Oh, baby. Butter. It's what makes those cakes and pies and quiches and breads so sinfully good—although somehow we feel less guilty about using a lot of it when we make it ourselves. (Don't you just love kitchen justifications?) Plus, it's a cinch to prepare. Find instructions below for two methods, one with a food processor and one without.

MAKING BUTTER WITH A FOOD PROCESSOR: SO EASY!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
» one pint organic heavy cream

» 1 tsp s
ea salt

» 1/2 c ice water, plus more for rinsing
food processor
» cellophane wrap

WHAT TO DO
1. Chill the food processor blade in the freezer’s icebox for one hour, then assemble the food processor, including blade.

2. Pour the cream and salt into the processor bowl and whirl until you see the cream reach a cream cheese consistency—about 3 minutes. It’s not quite like butter yet, m
ore like crème fraiche. So . . .

Add 1/2 c ice water and whirl again until the butter and buttermilk separate, another 2 minutes or so.

4. Pour off the buttermilk and reserve for later use. (Pancakes!)

5. In a bowl, add more ice water to the remaining butter. Using a fork, knead the butter to tease out the remaining buttermilk. Repeat until the water runs clear and discard the excess liquid.

6. Add sea salt as desired, mixing in to thoroughly incorporate.

If you have pretty butter molds or ramekins, scoop the butter into those, smoothing the top. Otherwise, place butter onto cellophane wrap and form a log, rolling the cellophane around the butter like maki. (Mmmm, maki.) Chill and use within a week to 10 days.

MORE OF A VISUAL LEARNER? SEE THE PROCESS UNFOLD

• Click through Cornelia's step-by-step photos, or

• Watch the slideshow below. (For captions, click the "i" that appears when you roll over the bottom of the photo frame.) Like this slideshow? It's yours! Embed it in your own website.

MAKING BUTTER WITH A GLASS JAR: WHO NEEDS A FOOD PROCESSOR?

This recipe comes to us from The Organic Sister; ingredient list is the same as in the food processor method above.

WHAT TO DO
1. Throw your room-temp cream into a jar, filling bout one-third full.

2. Shake the jar until the sloshy foam sound becomes a definitive splash. At this point, you’ll see buttermilk and a clump of butter.

3. Drain the buttermilk and rinse the butter under running water, being sure to drain all of the water out.

4. If you prefer salt, mix it into the homemade butter at a ratio of 1/2 teaspoon per pound of butter.

5. Chill.

6. Eat it fast before someone else does!

MORE FROM HOMEGROWN.ORG

• Read HOMEGROWN member Michelle's blog post on making butter, with—bonus!—a homemade buttermilk biscuit recipe.

• Download the HOMEGROWN 101 how-to card on butter making to share with your pals.

• Find more HOMEGROWN 101 cards to steal, print, and pass around.

SPEAK UP!

Got a better butter agenda? A question? Share your own recipes, tips, and more below and keep the conversation rolling. You might also take a gander at the Recipe Sharing and Cheesemakers groups, or increase your baking prowess by trying the Bread Making and Homemade Extracts 101s. You can always find more things to cook, preserve, plant, grow, make, craft, and blend in the HOMEGROWN 101 library.

Tags: butter, how-to

Views: 9830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember doing this way back in elementary school - will have to try it with my kids!

A fun project for the kids this summer! Now to find an old fashioned ice cream churn for them too, lol

I can't wait to give this a shot! Thanks! :)
I'm lazy. I use the KitchenAid. I sure do love the homemade butter though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library