HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

You can’t go anywhere in October without being spooked by ghosts and graveyards set up in storefront windows, frightened by jack-o-lanterns on front stoops, or creeped out by the number of vampires lurking in pop culture these days. From horror movie marathons to candy-covered spiders, this month is all about Halloween.

As a kid I loved the Halloween season.  Each night leading up to the 30th seemed to be a little darker, a little more wicked.  Pumpkin carving parties, scarecrow making, trick-or-treating; all added to the wonder - and horror - of All Hallows’ Eve.

While I’m no longer dressing up and hitting up my neighbors for candy (trust me, I pushed the age limit on trick-or-treating), I’m still holding up Halloween traditions.  Pumpkin picking, carving, and cooking are added to my October to-do list.  I’m recycling and repurposing old costumes to wear to parties. I do double-duty on leaf-raking and scarecrow-making. And, I create sinister decorations to haunt my own house.

How do you celebrate Halloween? Are you going trick-or-treating or staying in and watching Hitchcock? Let us know!

For the next two weeks, we will be sharing some traditional and some new Fall or Halloween crafts, costumes, recipes, and more in our HOMEGROWN 101s (like this one on scarecrows!).  Please share your own with us as a discussion.  Include detailed recipes or instructions, photos, or videos.  Let’s see how much frightening fun we can have! Muahahaha!

Photo courtesy of Caroline Malcolm

Tags: candy, costume, craft, halloween, pumpkin, recipe, scarecrow, trick-or-treat

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another HOMEGROWN Halloween 101: Book Page Pumpkin craft. A great way to repurpose old novels and make a unique, free craft at home!

How-to: HOMEGROWN Halloween 101: Mummy Lanterns. Easy, cheap, and fun way to create a spooky mood for Halloween!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library