HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I know there are more of you out there. You've made the leap from obsessive gardener to full fledged urban farmer. At one time you were ripping up your lawn to fit in another 2 rows of tomatoes and corn and now you have somehow found enough land in the city to grow enough vegetables to start selling your produce. Maybe you just have a small, "honor system" produce stand. Maybe you've found a small, local restaurant to buy all of the heirloom tomatoes you can produce. Maybe you've started your own mini-CSA from veg grown in your yard and the piece of yard your neighbor has let you borrow.

I want to know what all of you are doing out there! Where are all of the urban farmers in the burgeoning local food movement?!?! We can't have truly local food without urban farmers. Let's share what we're doing and shift this discussion into high gear!!! Let's see how many new, small scale urban farmers we can inspire to start growing by spring '09!

What am I doing to pull my weight in this challenge? Well, I'm glad you asked. I'm one half of an urban farming business in Portland, OR called City Garden Farms. We grow on about 1/3 of an acre spread out over 12 yards to supply a 30 member CSA. This is a very "do-able" proposition for the motivated grower. You won't make a million dollars doing it, but it can provide a nice little side income and you get to connect with all of your neighbors through the food you grow! And isn't that one of the most important pieces of the local food movement? Connecting farmer and community...reaping all of the benefits of all of the positive outcomes that grow from this relationship. Let me answer that for you...yes it is.

--Farmer Dan in Portland, OR

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We live on the 3rd floor of a condo with two small balconies, but we do what we can ... look closely and you'll see a lemon tree with a few lemons, 4 green pepper plants and 2 borlotti bean plants -- all in the same vase! Last year we planted cherry tomatoes instead of the peppers, they did just fine too. Cozy! :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• IMG_6004

IMG_6004

• IMG_2197

IMG_2197