HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I liked how the seed swap went last year.  Seeds are a little friendlier to mail out to the far reaches of the world.  I've got several heirloom vegetables and fruits stratifying in the freezer right now, and they'll be ready to hit the post office, hmm let's say, February?  Who's in? - just comment on this discussion and we'll arrange traders.  Please add your hardiness zone too.

Torry

Tags: 2011, seed, swap

Views: 208

Replies to This Discussion

Anita, I'm in southern Zone 9a. You can grow SOMETHING in this zone all year round. Right now I'm growing all kinds of greens, including Swiss chard, kale, collards, bok choy, romaine and butter crunch. I'm also growing carrots and beets. You can grow just about any root like this all Winter into the Spring and some into Summer. You can also be planting any of these now. And I wouldn't wait till the middle of February to start tomatoes and other night shades from seed.

In the heat the Summer, there are tropicals you can grow, including sweet potatoes. There are other tropicals, mostly roots, that can grow in the heat. I found out last year that the Lacinto Kale I planted in the Winter, will grow all year. It just kept growing all through the heat of the Summer and did well. While sometimes in the real heat of the Summer, tomatoes will quit blooming, some will continue to produce until they get frosted. And we can grow cherry tomatoes all Summer easily. I grow eggplants of many varieties and peppers, hot and sweet, all Summer, as well.

I highly recommend subscribing to Tom MacCubbin's newsletter here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_gardening_blog/

There are just so many wonderful food items we can grow all year in Zone 9.

Hi, I'm  a city gal in NJ and although I don't have the knowledge or capacity to grow my own garden, I'm working with my farmer friend (who I happen to purchase my raw milk from) and would like to support him anyway that I can.  One idea is to purchase the  seeds for him, in efforts to cut down on his costs, and reap a bit of the bounty once the fruits (and veggies) of his labor come to fruition. 

I believe we're in the same zone since he's only about an hour north of me.   He's a great guy who's having a tough time sustaining his farm which is a complete shame, and I'm trying to figure out a way to offset some high costs.   Any thoughts on this endeavor?  I'd love to get in on the seed swap, what do I need to do?

What to do to enter seed swap?  You've done it just by commenting!  We will assign you a partner at the end of February.

Count me in! I'm in zone 6, and I have all sorts of seeds to swap. TONS of tomatos, some squash, some flowers and herbs, a few other random things. Some are saved from hybrids, and all were grown in close vicinity to other breeds of the same plant so who knows what they'll turn out like, but they should keep at least some of the mamas traits!
I live in zone 7a, in North Carolina. I don't have that much space to grow a garden because I live in an apartment now, but I was wondering what kinds of plants would grow the best in a small area.

Charlotte, I'm in NJ too....where is your friend located?  would love to find somewhere to get stuff i can't/don't have room to grow myself

Louise

charlotte polizzo said:

Hi, I'm  a city gal in NJ and although I don't have the knowledge or capacity to grow my own garden, I'm working with my farmer friend (who I happen to purchase my raw milk from) and would like to support him anyway that I can.  One idea is to purchase the  seeds for him, in efforts to cut down on his costs, and reap a bit of the bounty once the fruits (and veggies) of his labor come to fruition. 

I believe we're in the same zone since he's only about an hour north of me.   He's a great guy who's having a tough time sustaining his farm which is a complete shame, and I'm trying to figure out a way to offset some high costs.   Any thoughts on this endeavor?  I'd love to get in on the seed swap, what do I need to do?

Fred, what do Hokkaido black watermelons look like?  sounds interesting

fred walsh said:

Id love to be in the program but this is my first yr gardening at home will have some seeds to swap next yr .. have found many heirloom seeds that should be here any day on order from  "seed savers exchange " catalog. as well as some  hokkaido black watermelon seeds  that a friend sent from Japan to try this spring.   Seattle Wa  zone 8 or 9 i think

Hi Louise,

He's located in the south-western area of PA, Bangor to be exact.  I make the hike out to him every other week to pick up my raw milk.  I'm in Jersey City by the way :-)
Louise Sugar said:

Charlotte, I'm in NJ too....where is your friend located?  would love to find somewhere to get stuff i can't/don't have room to grow myself

Louise

charlotte polizzo said:

I know Jersey City...grew up in Bayonne  :D  live in the FAR south of NJ now near Wildwood  :D

charlotte polizzo said:

Hi Louise,

He's located in the south-western area of PA, Bangor to be exact.  I make the hike out to him every other week to pick up my raw milk.  I'm in Jersey City by the way :-)
Louise Sugar said:

Louise

charlotte polizzo said:

I'd like to join the Seed Swap! I'm in zone 6 in lower Michigan! I have a variety of home-saved flower seeds as well as some peppers, watermelon, and some seeds of change seeds as well.

I'm looking specifically for onion seeds, several different varieties, but I'd be open to other things as well!

have heirloom, org, open pollinated veggie seeds (many kinds--maybe 2 dozen), looking for culinary and/or medicinal herbs, berries. zone 4a, can push to 4b (minneapolis, mn).

I want in too. I'm in Southern OH, zone 5.

I have lots of vegetable seed saved, and extras of what I've got on order from Baker Creek to trade. Mostly interested in fruits and veggies or easy houseplants.

Lesley/Mrs.Weeb

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library