HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

I liked how the seed swap went last year.  Seeds are a little friendlier to mail out to the far reaches of the world.  I've got several heirloom vegetables and fruits stratifying in the freezer right now, and they'll be ready to hit the post office, hmm let's say, February?  Who's in? - just comment on this discussion and we'll arrange traders.  Please add your hardiness zone too.

Torry

Tags: 2011, seed, swap

Views: 211

Replies to This Discussion

I am wondering what I can use for a spring garden in west central Florida? It is growing zone 9 here...fill me in!

So cool, Torry - thanks for starting the swap! I'm in!

Oh, and I'm zone 6a.

Lawsy, zone 9 you could grow just about anything!  I am not up to speed with any of the near-tropicals, but on a recent visit to Alabama (should be close to same zone) I saw a plant store selling kiwi vines, several plants that wouldn't make it here in NC.  Early spring would be a good time to plant those perennials. 

Perhaps start a group on here dedicated to Florida growers, you folks who are lucky to have 3 1/2, 4 growing seasons a year!
Anita Stewart said:

I am wondering what I can use for a spring garden in west central Florida? It is growing zone 9 here...fill me in!
I have some ideas already...will try to get some heirloom seeds to start out. Not sure on what I can barter with unless I get some heirlooms from here. Tomatoes would be a good thing...I will see what I can do to get a trade...we actually do not have 4 seasons...we do have 3...in the summer, here,  everything burns up...the only growing we can do is inside...we are thinking of http://www.windowfarms.org for an indoor system.

Torry said:

Lawsy, zone 9 you could grow just about anything!  I am not up to speed with any of the near-tropicals, but on a recent visit to Alabama (should be close to same zone) I saw a plant store selling kiwi vines, several plants that wouldn't make it here in NC.  Early spring would be a good time to plant those perennials. 

Perhaps start a group on here dedicated to Florida growers, you folks who are lucky to have 3 1/2, 4 growing seasons a year!
Anita Stewart said:

all I have left is some scallion seeds and I THINK about 20 or 30 plum tomato seeds...rabbits and chickens ate my garden last year....I forgot that chickens can fly (sort of)  :D

Zone 7 a/b...we live on the Atlantic coast

I'm in Zone 9 in Northern California.  I have plenty of saved seeds to share.   I have heirlooms (squash, pumpkins, melons, celery, onions, leeks, etc.) and hybrids (brocoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collards and squash)...let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I have.
Lynda it sounds like you and Anita would be good trade partners!

Lynda Reynolds said:
I'm in Zone 9 in Northern California.  I have plenty of saved seeds to share.   I have heirlooms (squash, pumpkins, melons, celery, onions, leeks, etc.) and hybrids (brocoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collards and squash)...let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I have.
Works for me...just need to know where to send them.

Torry said:
Lynda it sounds like you and Anita would be good trade partners!

Lynda Reynolds said:

I've got cone flower seeds to trade for flower perenials that will grow in zone 3.

I've also got henderson lima bean seeds and blue lake polebean seeds for trade.

What have you got for trade?

Hi! I'm excited to be a part of this seed swap! I'm new to Homegrown, so thanks for having me on board.

I'm in 6B and I've got a bunch of seeds on hand. In highest quantity: mache, kale, scarlet runner beans, marigolds, african daisy, heirloom squash...

How did the swap work last year? Sending seeds out to interested parties and vice versa? Thanks for filling me in.

Oops!  I need to clarify my zone.  I follow the Sunset/Western Growers Zone Map and that would put me in Zone 9.  The USDA Hardiness Zone would be 7B...I have found the Western Growers Zone Map to be more accurate for my area.  And I can grow almost anything here...I garden year round. 
On the question of how this works, well, what we did last year was everyone interested leave a comment, and at a set date (let's do February 28th) we will assign swappers in the comment field.  After that, contact your partner via Homegrown email and exchange addresses.  You are welcome to share lists of what you have (to avoid duplication or the importation of exotic invasive species).  We will make all efforts to get partners that are in close hardiness zones.  It's that easy!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library