HOMEGROWN

Celebrate the culture of agriculture & share skills (Growing! Cooking! Eating!)

2010 garden planning - what are you doing for the upcoming season???

Next year will be a big one for me. In addition to a small garlic plot I have added 2 new raised beds and have plans for 2 more (total of 5- 4X8 beds and 1-6x10) - that doesn't include the strawberry and asparagus beds that I've already outlined and the chicken coop and chicks headed this way come spring. I'm probably biting off more than I can possibly chew (hmmmmm - nah!) but hey - dirt under my nails makes me happy! So - what does everyone have planned for the upcoming season?

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Go big or go home" - sounds like some great projects. We're planning a big addition to our backyard garden. Texas heat/drought killed the back lawn (um...finally?) so we are going to till it up!

Before that, we need water collection, though.

Not certain about which veggie yet. Still browsing the seeds of change catalog!
We have half an acre set aside for garden as well as a spot for a row of fruit trees. We're just waiting on our USDA loan (3 mos and counting...) Not sure how much we will be able to get plowed up before spring but I've got an (almost) scale drawing of the entire 3 acres. We're also having laying hens as well!
You are definately going big! I've started looking into grapes and fruit trees myself. I'd like a couple of dwarf apple, pear and apricot trees - we have the room out there for sure but gotta keep it in check - at least for now! Can't wait for spring!
We're adding two more beds that measure 4'x42' in addition to the 3 beds that we already have that are 4'x75'. We also are planting 6 more fruit trees so we'll have a total of 25 trees. I'm also planning out a new front yard sans grass that will have only edible (mostly native) plants and medicinal herbs. But this year is wimpy compared to what we did last year.

You can totally do it! My husband and I last year put in and planted the three 75' beds, planted 18 fruit trees, 15 fruiting shrubs/vines (grapes, blueberries, black currants, kiwis, passionfruit & raspberries), built a chicken coop for 11 girls, put up fences, cleared out over a dozen dead or dying trees, put in a 1000' sq ft patio, put in an irrigation system, and landscaped the garden area, just in a matter of months, and we work full time and were planning a wedding at the same time. On my profile I have photos of what we started with and what we've done so far to show you that you can do it all!
Michael, you should check out the Seed Savers Exchange catalog and Baker Creek Heirlooms too! Though it might overwhelm you. LOL

michael said:
"Go big or go home" - sounds like some great projects. We're planning a big addition to our backyard garden. Texas heat/drought killed the back lawn (um...finally?) so we are going to till it up!

Before that, we need water collection, though.

Not certain about which veggie yet. Still browsing the seeds of change catalog!
Need to start buying seeds & some coconut coir to mix with my worm compost!

Planning on starting with a lot of beets & peas in the spring, mixed with radishes & lettuce. Then will move to tomatoes, squash, beans, cayenne peppers in the summer. Maybe some fennel too! Then lots of garlic in late fall.

Also have a bunch of perennial herbs I'm hoping come back, like black cohosh, lavender, mountain mint, ginger.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Join us on:

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by HOMEGROWN.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Community Philosphy Blog and Library